small piece of 11 gage sheet metal for ramp
11 gage sheet metal for mounting chain guard
aluminum for chain guard
12 gage wire to wire it up
On off switch
bolts,nuts and washers
Paint or powder coat
if I have forgot anythng I will add it later
Me and my helper have cut up the frame it took 12' for all the cuts the 2" are for the cut waist
I then sandblasted the tube
Next I will lay out the holes in the tubes for mounting the pillow blocks and ramp
Then I will make the motor mount and ramp

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 319
  • starter frame.jpg
    starter frame.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Hi Carbon,
I wondered why you'd need one but then I realized you are in Florida and the nearest steep hill is in the next State.
Seriously though, what do you plan for a controlled start?
Admittedly it was a long time ago but the last time I looked into varying the speed of an AC motor the controller cost more than the motor.

Hey Fred On this single phased motor there is no need for a controler.
This motor is for a air compressor that is wired for counter clock wise rotation which I wanted
So in this case just a on off type switch will be needed.
Yep it's perdy damn flat here alright. No hills for push start:doh:

Hi Carbon,
just stomp the pedal and go like that scene on The World's Fastest Indian movie?
And I thought you'd need some kind of variable speed control to start off slow.
Your build don't need it but reverse is easy, flip the motor around and put the drive on the other side.

Hi Carbon,
just stomp the pedal and go like that scene on The World's Fastest Indian movie?

Yes that's the plan

Hi Carbon,

And I thought you'd need some kind of variable speed control to start off slow.
Not in this case. the motor I have comming is made for hard starting. which wont be the case here.

Your build don't need it but reverse is easy, flip the motor around and put the drive on the other side.

If it does rotate in the other dirrection I will do that.
Thanks

Hey Fred, By all means I will shoot a video.
I did the math before I bought the sprockets The rollers should be running close to 1900rpm 1897.6897rpm by my calculation:wink2:
I don't expect a problem I will have the front brake on when I turn on the starter.

Last edited:
fiddled around a while and got the frame ready to weld up

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 210
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 232
The motor, pillow block bearings,and chains just got here.
also just got the frame welded. It's not cleaned yet.
still have to make the motor mount and weld it on to the frame.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 248
  • starter frame.jpg
    starter frame.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
unpacked motor I will now cut out the motor mount.
Test fit 2 of the pillow block bearings I had to redrill mount holes as I drilled them for different set of pillow block bearings :doh: Why do it once when you can do it twice :(

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 295
CARBONS BUILDING A ELECTRIC XS 650 who's he kidding!!!!!
That motor is a over kill ....Hope you put the front wheel on a cement wall...
All kidding aside I have built three for the drag bikes in the early years. I used small gas powered motors and a three roller setup. Tried two and wheel would jump around but three worked fine and 14 to 1 motors started right up. They had go cart clutch on them so when it fired up I wasn't spinning motor. Make sure roller that is the cranking one has some STICKUM on it.
Can't wait for the pictures.:thumbsup:

Hey Rich, I have a gas powdered starter project in the makings after the one is built.
I going to use a 5hp honda clone and a gocart back wheel/tire combo for the starting.
pix and videos are a comming.
For sure the 3 hp motor is overkill it should start 1000cc engines with no pproblem. 2hp motor will work just fine for the ole 650s but when I was pricing motors 3hp was in this case was the same price because it was on sale and I got a $10 gift certificate too. shipped to the front door for $172

I been playing with some electric motors and your in ball park for what you want to do. I found a couple big electric motors for a bike build but its only for fun. By the time you add up the motor batteries controller it get pretty costly. I was always in electronics some way or another and its funny but I got a electronics degree in the 70's and went and built bikes instead. I did build some killer Cable Tv company's in the 70's and 80's for spare change and got a kick out of going up 200' to 700' towers and install microwave systems on them. When you get above 400 feet they sway back and forth HAHA.......
SORRY GUYS electric bikes are coming FAST!!!! I think there are 10 out there now.
WE ARE ALL TURNING INTO NERDS!!!!!:yikes:

The key to starting these high compression engines with a roller starter is, before you roll it on the starter put your bike in 1st gear and back it off compression (roll the bike backwards while in gear) then roll your bike on starter. Make sure your bike is in 3rd or 4th gear, then drop the clutch!

Cheers,
Bryan

Right on Man! I'll keep that in mind.
The rollers got here after some fedex usps swap in Orlando 2 day delayover :bs:
Now I need the sprockets and we can get this show on the road.
Mean while I have to get the rollers ready for installation

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
I went to the hardware store picked up 3/4" pvc pipe 1"pvc pipe to make sleeves for the rollers
I cut out a piece of 11 gage sheet metal for the motor mount
I cut a 7 7/8" piece of pipe out of each pvc pipe I brought home.
Then I pounded the 3/4 into the 1" piece of pipe then I put the 1" into the roller now that goes on to the 3/4" axle. After I figure exactly where the roller fits.
I will drill a 1/4" hole on each end throught the roller and axle to drift pin the roller to the axle.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 247
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 271
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 244
I made the the motor mount, cut the axles, ground the axle ends so they would fit inside the bearings. I have test fit everything except the sprockets which I don't have yet. Hopefully this evening. I still have to diftpin the rollers to the axles, wire the motor, fit the sprockets, cut and attach the chains, and make the ramp.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 546
Back