RonXS' Build Thread - The Soft Cafe

Yes, that big cable connection on the starter motor is subjected to the weather (water) and all the road debris kicked up while riding. It has a protective rubber boot but many times it's gone bad (split or cracked) and doesn't do it's job anymore. The starter on mine didn't work when I got it and that was the problem. That connection and terminal were all rusty, probably because the rubber boot had split. I cleaned it all up and replaced the boot, and it's worked fine ever since.

Was referring to the starter connection down under the bike, on the starter body itself.
When I connected 12V directly to the starter's power lug... nothing but sparks.

It could be as Signal said (shorting to the case bolt), but I didn't want to pull the starter just yet. But I will eventually.

In the mean time, I visited the local salvage yard and picked up a kill switch from a Kow-a-saki :) (Can't tell what year, but I can confirm that they are the same internally), side-stand, starter and solenoid. Tested the starter in the bike with a little portable battery. It surprised me how quickly the engine turned over. $50 total.

Last edited:
For the sidestand, adding a grease nipple to the pivot will make it function oh so smoothly, combat pivot wear too .....

y6VgFrh.jpg

Jj2lVqp.jpg

This bike lived in a harsh environment for, i'm guessing, 3 to 4 years. From about 2015 to 2018 it resided year-round outside an apartment in Portland, OR. This exposure is showing up in the electrical contacts. I fixed the kill switch yesterday, moved to the turn signal switch today. The problem here turned out (pun intended :)) to be two of the three signal wires separated from the switch contacts. I tried to re-solder, but it fell apart in my hands. So off to the salvage yard tomorrow.
I spent the rest of the day going through every connector (plug and bullet) and giving them a shot of Deoxit and working them in-and-out a few times. I did find that all the connector plugs under the seat were filled with dielectric grease :thumbsup:.

Yes, you really need to do what you've done when you get one of these. It will ward off future electrical issues. I did it to mine when I got it and thankfully over the ensuing years, the only electrical issues I've encountered were a couple of burned out bulbs, and I just consider that normal. Also examine all the wiring for any rubbed bare spots. I found several on mine, around the battery box and in the headlight shell, short problems just waiting to happen.

While scrounging the bone yard, you may also want to look for a '78 or older right switch assembly. It can come from some other Yamaha model as well, like the XS500. This will give you back a headlight on-off switch .....

9K0mBrs.jpg

Your model has the auto-on headlight feature which to me is one of the silliest things they ever did to bikes, lol.

Put my order into MikesXS today... Got the electronic ignition, fork seals and carb bits coming. AGM battery also from Amazon.

Jumping in late to the thread, but wanted to congratulate you on the excellent project! Perfectly priced XS...and I like where you're taking it. :)

I'm up in Seattle... have a few parts laying around in case you need anything...although I'm curious on your local salvage yard... we haven't had a bike salvage yard up here for years. Miss it big time!!

Back