1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

RonXS' Build Thread - The Soft Cafe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RonXS, Apr 14, 2020.

1. RonXS

RonXS XS650 Addict

Got the shocks installed... Using those RFY shocks off Ebay. Also played around with some color on the seat cowl. I know I said I wanted black, but the red makes the bike look longer. It's not color matched, just some red I had on hand. This looks right to me. :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

MaxPete, Raymondo, XsJosh and 4 others like this.
  2. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Great look ! Which ever color. The side panels matching would be great too. It looks so early 80's !

Superjet, RonXS and Mailman like this.
  3. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Guru Top Contributor

^^^^^+1 on the red side covers. Looks great Ronxs! :thumbsup:

Jim and RonXS like this.
  4. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

That front fender is neat looking. Exactly what model is that from?

5. RonXS

RonXS XS650 Addict

Thanks 5Twins. I like it too. It's narrow and just covers the XS tire's width. And once painted black should disappear.

Fender from a Yamaha DT250. It's front edge was creased when I got it. I took it off the 250 30+ years ago, replaced it with a plastic one and threw in in my attic.
    [​IMG]

The stays were cut from a 1968 Yamaha 350 YR2C (Like this I think). Except for the stays, the fender was in bad shape.
    [​IMG]

I used some 6mm socket head fender washers left over from my '79 Datsun King Cab build to join the two.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2020 at 10:56 PM
    MaxPete likes this.
  6. RonXS

RonXS XS650 Addict

Refinished the passenger pegs. Stopped the rattling by using a shim to add thickness to the rubber foot rest. Was going to use innertube rubber, but found a piece of vinyl baseboard as it was twice as thick as intertube. Shim is in the center of photo. Shim has been installed to foot peg on the left.
    [​IMG]

MaxPete, Mailman, Raymondo and 3 others like this.
  7. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Been a puzzle for years now..
    conti_silencers_3_logo (1).jpg
    Europe has better old options !

MaxPete, RonXS and Mailman like this.
  8. RonXS

RonXS XS650 Addict

Cool! Butttttt....... $1120? Ouch.

MaxPete likes this.
  9. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Love the bike Ron - very fetching!

Pete

RonXS likes this.
  10. RonXS

RonXS XS650 Addict

Head pipes arrived from MikesXS. They are 1.5" in diameter with a very slight kickup at the end. I put one on to see how it looks...
    [​IMG]

Was going to use the stock turn signals in the rear with shortened stalks and red lenses. In conjunction with the smaller Lucas tail light, the stock turn signals looked out of place (to large). Decided to switch to smaller polished aluminum units. Red lenses aren't available so went with clear lenses with red LED bulbs. Had to cut off the sockets and hardwire in to make this work. Will be a pain in the A$$ to change if one goes bad. Hooked up to a battery. They are bright...
    [​IMG]

Removed the Napoleon bar end mirrors from the Superhawk and moved them to the XS. Bar end mirrors also solve a problem. The Magura master cylinder has a hole for 8mm stalks, the Yamaha clutch perch mounts 10mm stalks. I think the Napoleons look better here anyway...
    [​IMG]

Lastly, I stuck a piece of square tube into the exhaust to get an idea of where the mufflers might end up. I'm probably going with the Emgo 19" Hooligan or the 17" Reverse Cone. The reverse cone has removable baffles which might allow for some tuning. I don't know which one I'm going with yet...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2020 at 1:27 AM
    GLJ, Superjet, Raymondo and 4 others like this.
  11. azman857

azman857 '80 XS 650SG Rider XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Looking GOOD Ron! Really good!

RonXS and Jim like this.
  12. RonXS

RonXS XS650 Addict

Here's the info on the Emgo muffs:
    17" Reverse Cone Shorty with or without tuneable baffle
    [​IMG]

19" Hooligan
    [​IMG]

Found some info on tuning the 17" Emgo on Triumph Rat:
    Tunable Emgo Mufflers

Found info on the different baffles for the 17" from Ryca which appear to be Emgo's:

Last edited: May 25, 2020 at 2:18 AM
    Brassneck, ThatXS650Guy and Superjet like this.