Roth Rattle bomb

RustiePyles

"Pocket sand! Sh-sh-sha!'
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used Roth Rattle Bomb flake paint on tins? I have a flake bazooka but that stuff goes EVERYWHERE... Id rather not apply flake anywhere in the vicinity of my home. Its like beach sand, I haven't applied flake in 6 years but I still randomly find things in my garage that are inexplicably covered in it, like they somehow sneak out and hit up the strip club when I'm not around. I'm thinking this all in one rattle can package might be a better option for small jobs like tanks and fenders.

https://rothmetalflake.com/collections/rattle-bombs

I have not used that one in particular so if you end up with it please report back.

I have used another brand and it was more of what I’d call a heavy metallic/sparkle than a flake. Getting a rattle tip big enough to deliver a big flake and not hose down your work piece in clear seems to be the problem. Maybe they solved that.

I’ve done my fair share of flakes in resin and it’s definitely more fun to apply than it is to clean up haha.

do you have a local paint supply that sells it? They may have tried it.

I have not used that one in particular so if you end up with it please report back.

I have used another brand and it was more of what I’d call a heavy metallic/sparkle than a flake. Getting a rattle tip big enough to deliver a big flake and not hose down your work piece in clear seems to be the problem. Maybe they solved that.

I’ve done my fair share of flakes in resin and it’s definitely more fun to apply than it is to clean up haha.

do you have a local paint supply that sells it? They may have tried it.
No, none of the local places seem to have used it or sell it. Closest retailer is Springfield, Mo. But its been around for awhile now so I would guess its somewhat reputable given its longevity on the market. Last time I did it I applied the dry flake to the wet base coat and buried it in clear, it looked outstanding but there was flake EVERYWHERE, I don't have gun with a big enough nozzle orifice to apply it wet. My home made bazooka preformed WAY better than I thought it would but cleanup was a bitch.

When spraying gelcoat getting a big enough tip to spray it without having to reduce it to the point it runs had always been a problem for me unless I bought a real expensive gun that would certainly get ruined. Then I just started drilling out the tips of cheap guns, worked like a charm. Could be an option to try drilling out the tip of a touch up gun and see if you can get it to deliver flake wet.

I’ve used the Roth rattle bombs, base coats and flakes. The flake is small of course more like massive big metallic but for sure flake. They work well and with 2K clear over it you can do a very nice paint job cheaply. I’m going to shoot my 81 soon with silver base (it’s a metallic), silver flake and gold candy with 2K clear.

Back