Rotor dead, can I still drive bike for short rides?

I have a voltmeter now and I see little, if any difference in the reading at speed when switching the headlight on and off, but at idle there's quite a drop when I turn it on, a good half volt or so. What I don't like about the auto-on headlight relay is that it doesn't only turn the headlight on once the bike is running. A long, sustained starting attempt is enough to spin the alternator up and trigger the relay. The light comes on even though the bike isn't started and running yet. Then you get that big draw on the battery. The only way to turn the light off is to cycle the ignition switch off then on again.

I'm all for riding with the headlight on at all times, I just want control over it. For years and years, that's the way it was. I guess the government thought we all suddenly got stupid or something, forgot how to operate a simple on-off switch, lol.

If your headlight is an aftermarket one with the provision for a park light. It could have a LED light fitted.

Been on my mind for my bike. We have an extra key position for park and i bought one of MikesXs headlamps and it had the fitting for a park light. Swap this light to an LED and it won't draw much power.

Looking at your 2 position switch if a wire was run of the R/Y wire, before it got to the on/off switch. and ran to to a park light LED in the headlight you would have a full time headlight on a well as an option to run the main headlight during the day............just in case you forgot to turn the headlight on in the day time, at least the led would be on.........Even though it would come on when the ignition/key switch is turned on, it wouldn't draw enough power to upset the starter motor when starting

My relay will latch after any decent stab at the kick starter. Those $3 LEDS are low draw and enough for "city" night time riding. But a total loss e system will make you too nervous to enjoy the riding. Kinda like the feeling riding after you've switched to reserve.

I have not changed the rotor yet, will have to be next spring (ran out of money)
Battery still good. Can I go for short rides or will I fry something else.
FYI, I now have electronic ignition and advance.
Junkie, After refreshing a 77 XS the first ride was to Niagara Falls area from Ottawa for the weekend.Only major part replaced was the rotor and, of course it died.Only had working taillight but was able to ride all day on the stock ign. with still 12 volts at end.Not sure how much power electronic ignition sucks out of the system but I would think it less?

I was running my XS total loss for about 45 minutes last summer with about 8V showing on my digital meter. That was with the headlight disabled. Kind of a nail biter ride, but you'd be surprised how long you can run with no alternator. I have pondered making a limp home setup from an old bicycle light generator which you could run off the tach drive in an emergency.

I have a story about a Honda 305 that wasn't charging, two up, a HUGE bag of stolen pot and a 80 mile trip at night. :cool: danged fool kids anyways. :smoke:
While cleaning the basement of an apartment building in Madison we "found" a big garbage bag full of pot.:)
"testing" that night revealed it to be "wisco or ditch" weed. :poo:
None the less we got word that somebody was very unhappy and wanted that crap back.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Disappearing post alert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on over to see us in Canada! You can chat all about it here now!! :laugh2:

And our border guards won't be asking that uncomfortable to answer question.
"Have you EVER smoked Marijuana."

If answered in the affirmative, (truthfully for most folks), you are PERMANENTLY banned from entering the U.S.

I expect there will be an unprecedented amount of Canadians lying at border crossings.

Last edited:
Haha, just saw the edits in posts #26 and #27. This is turning into the 'weed' thread. I knew I should have started a thread about this latest Canadian news in The Lounge. :D

Haha, na, not gonna bite Jim. It would likely spark some interesting discussions. Maybe best avoided.
Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of the fact that this seems to be all there is to talk about up here lately. All the radio stations are playing is every stoner song that's ever been written. "Classic Rock Stoner Tracks". Songs for the enlightened.

It is a different time.

Back