Rotor Drilling query

RustiePyles

"Pocket sand! Sh-sh-sha!'
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you that have drilled your rotors. Are you chamfering with a countersink, or leaving the hole edges sharp? I know the holes serve to not only cool but remove embedded debris/material from the pads so chamfering seems counter productive. I'm getting really clean holes to begin with, no breakthrough or tear out. Just not sure if I need to kiss em with a countersink to deburr. I'll probably swirl finish the rotor with a 2" roloc pad after sandblasting so that will do a lot of deburring.

Looking at the factory drilled Brembo discs set on my bike, the hole edges are 'sharp'. Same on the HOPE brake set up on my Santa Cruz mountain bike.

Looking at the factory drilled Brembo discs set on my bike, the hole edges are 'sharp'. Same on the HOPE brake set up on my Santa Cruz mountain bike.
Thats kinda what I thought. I'm thinking if Brembo is doing it that way its probably the right way... Thanks @Adamc.

Here are two images:
IMG_1101.JPEG

Front Rotor
IMG_1102.JPEG

Rear rotor

Yes, leave the holes sharp edged, don't counter sink them. I just go around after drilling with a large drill bit in a T holder and deburr them by hand. A couple twists per hole is all it takes .....

full

Back