1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Rotor Winding Tooling

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim, Jul 22, 2018.

1. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Worked long and hard getting a wonderful pendleton collection in large tall. Certain household members. slowly but methodically shrunk them all into uselessness.:doh:

Mailman, TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.
  2. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Are you sure the real problem is the shirts shrinking? Just saying as I have a few pair of jeans that fit just right before I retired that for some unknown reason do not fit like they did before I retired, just saying!

59Tebo, GLJ, Jim and 2 others like this.
  3. gggGary

Oh yeah I get that but at least 8 great pendletons bit the dust in the dryer, before their time, damn it. I had gone from medium tall to large tall but that's not enough to counter a hot dryer's power of shrinkage.

59Tebo, Meddy and Jim like this.
  4. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

More Tooling
    Finished up the tooling for checking runout and static balance. Mounted 3 different rotors (and rotated those 180° on the taper). Amazingly, all 3 ran true within one and a half thou. Now I just gotta make a knife edge balance fixture and I'm in business.

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    FB71, 59Tebo, Paul Sutton and 5 others like this.
  5. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Very nice work Jim!

gggGary and Jim like this.
  6. DoubleE

DoubleE XS650 Enthusiast

Ohio USA
    Looks like it is time to hang your shingle out. Looks good.

7. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

Excellent, Jim...

8. 2XSive

2XSive XSively N. Michigan XS650.com Supporter

Out of curiosity (and please forgive if this is a stupid question), when re-winding these rotors, do you have to worry about dynamic balance and adding or subtracting weight as needed, or is it a non-issue once pressed together and epoxied up?

Machine, Jim and gggGary like this.
  9. gggGary

a dual knife edge fixture
    Ah So, it finally clicked on what the extended machined shaft was for. LOL

10. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Buckhorn Gang Member Top Contributor

JimD54, nice work. Please post a photo of the final setup to help me understand. I have not yet "clicked" like gggGary.

Jim and gggGary like this.
  11. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

That is some neat work. Nice!

Jim and gggGary like this.
  12. gggGary

planer blades.......;)

Jim likes this.
  13. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

I'll probably be too late in this reply but if you see the mention of the "dual knife edge fixture", that is the tooling that will be used to check the balance.

To get an idea check out this tool for motorcycle wheels:
    http://www.marcparnes.com/Universal_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm

The knife edge fixture will replace the two bearings on either end of the wheel balancer. Just need to be sure they are nice and level and parallel with each other.

Could not find a picture showing one for armatures but here is one being sold to do an old Triumph crank. Should at least give a good idea of what is being talked about!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-650-750-Z-138-balance-weights-and-fixture-set-/152786770558

Paul Sutton, Jim and 59Tebo like this.
  14. 2XSive

2XSive XSively N. Michigan XS650.com Supporter

Thanks for that explanation....it is starting to make sense now.

15. TwoManyXS1Bs

A pic of my spin fixture, for ideas/inspiration.
    SpinFixture.jpg

The discs need to have precisely concentric holes and circumference. These are 2.5" diameter. Maybe a lathe project with solid bar stock. Knife-edge the discs before cutoff. The holes are sized to accept press-in low-friction ball bearings. I made those from large fender washers. Drilled their holes first, then stacked them on a snug arbor, machined the ODs simultaneously...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Paul Sutton, Jim, GLJ and 1 other person like this.
  16. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

I like to see wood used for fixtures and tools since my wood working tools far outnumber my metal working tools, and my scrap wood pile is much larger than my scrap metal pile. 2M's tool there can be quickly converted to shorter and longer parts by changing the wood.:popcorn:

Scott

Jim and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.
  17. TwoManyXS1Bs

Absolutely, Scott. When ultimate strength and wood swelling isn't an issue, the broad/milled sides and rapid prototyping with good wood is hard to beat.

That particular spin fixture is used to check optical centering of erector tubes and crosshairs in rifle scopes. No loads at all, just needs to spin true...

59Tebo and Jim like this.
  18. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

I am curious as to how a rewound rotor will be checked for either "static" balancing, which I relate to as a simple check on a front wheel slowly finding it's own heavy side.
    Or "dynamic" balancing which I relate to as a spinning wheel in my mind .
    I'm watching all of this too
    -RT :cheers:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    TwoManyXS1Bs, gggGary and Jim like this.
  19. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Right you are Randy. Our 360° twins will never be smooth. So I see no point in dynamic balancing (which would be rather spendy :().... static balance will be more than good enough for this application. Here's an example of a knife edge balancing fixture. Gonna style mine after this one 'cause I like that you can replace the edges...

Untitled.png

59Tebo, TwoManyXS1Bs, Mailman and 3 others like this.
  20. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Buckhorn Gang Member Top Contributor