Rotor Winding Tooling

Turns out this project has a steeper learning curve than I anticipated.... but I'm getting there.

You got this buddy. :thumbsup:

021DA757-6D6E-46B3-9B82-4FDD8B9D5DB4.jpeg

Is the phenolic plate of uniform thickness?
It is. Just for s&g's I checked the rotor with and without the ring plate. Same reading. It's 15 to 20 thou.... you can literally see it with the MK.I eyeball... no TIR gauge needed. It's that bad.
I came up with a fix. Smeared JB Weld on the face and turned it down flat. For reasons too numerous to go into (mostly thickness and balance), I didn't want to turn the rotor itself. Not sure I trust it. Shelved it for now....

506.jpg

I wonder if it would show similar runout if position measurements were taken from each of the 4 prong endfaces?
I'm sure it would. I didn't take a pic but before I put the JB Weld on it, I put a straight edge across it. It's definitely bent.

Curious about your reassembly press fixturing/procedure.

JimsRotorPressAssembly.jpg

Thinkin' out loud here.
There's 3 types of alignment during press-assembly.

- Self-aligning, let the top align with the bottom's shaft body.
- Parallel plane, the upper press plate is parallel with the bottom press plate.
- CoAxial, the upper press plate is perpendicular to the tapered shaft axis.

Curious about your reassembly press fixturing/procedure.

View attachment 135920

Thinkin' out loud here.
There's 3 types of alignment during press-assembly.

- Self-aligning, let the top align with the bottom's shaft body.
- Parallel plane, the upper press plate is parallel with the bottom press plate.
- CoAxial, the upper press plate is perpendicular to the tapered shaft axis.
There's a half inch steel plate that sits on top of the brass bushing. Parallel to the bottom bushing face.

I can't think of any downfalls to your epoxy-faced rotor, aside from balance. JB-weld temp rating at least 500°F, strength on par with the phenolic disc. The benefit would be having true-running sliprings, an enhancement feature to your rebuilds.

I think there would be a volunteer in here to try it.

Edit: Just thought of one.
The rotor OD may need to be shaved if the runout affects it...

Off the cuff, On assembly if the stator slot isn't aligned with the crank location pin the stator is cocked enough to make the rotor rub (HARD)

Jim. If during this developing machining or assembly process you come up with a need for a contoured component/fixture, Saturdays I could have access to this Lathe. And "mastercam"(which Im bad at). Lol
Stay in the fight !
-RT

Attachments

• 20190228_060800.jpg
    20190228_060800.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 157
Re, usable cores and non-usable cores. Without altering the parts, were there any usable parts on that rotor that could be matched with other rotor parts? I'm thinking about a shop that I know has saved every bad rotor that they've ever had with the idea of finding someone someday to rewind them. Wonder how many of those cores are not usable. Wonder what damage he's done throwing them in the boxes.

Scott

Off the cuff, On assembly if the stator slot isn't aligned with the crank location pin the stator is cocked enough to make the rotor rub (HARD)
I don't have calipers with deep enough jaws, so I set a rotor inside a stator and could not get a piece of .032" safety wire between 'em. So I stuffed a tooth pick 'tween em and measured the crush. Gap is .028". So.... 14 thou. wobble would rub. That ain't much folks.

IMG_20190228_161038.jpg

IMG_20190228_161116.jpg

Back