Rough textured paint

phillycyclocross

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my frame is painted in what I'm guessing (probably wrong) is the factory paint. It's a rough texture. I've seen most of the rebuilds on here sandblasted and repainted nice and smooth. That's not my thing. I'd like to keep that rough look. On the 2014 calendar the El Chingon is painted the same way.

Can anyone tell me if this is factory or not? And how I can replicate it?

PS I've searched this topic relentlessly before posting this so ease up 5twins.

nd23ut.jpg

AFAIK it is not stock. I could be wrong though!

To get that textured look, you can buy some textured paint, they usually come in browns or greys, then just go over that with the colour of your choice.

Dont know if I've ever seen a factory crinkle besides harley, most powdercoaters offer a black crinkle, and I think pj1 has line of crinkle cans

Not factory. I have seen some painted with bed liner spray that looked similar. 5twins gave him a 12 year old rating. Witch are high marks since he was on the rag. I got a 6 but I had misspelling. A simple fuck you from the newbee would be the normal response.

Wrinkle...thats the word I was going for...

and I powdercoat everything! unless its a show bike then the tins get spoiled with paint. TOUGH stuff

Thanks guys.

This isn't powder coating. Scratches super easy. I will be looking to get this frame powder coated to look like this wrinkled texture.

Thanks again

Years ago there was an automotive replica 'rough texture' rattlecan paint that looks like that. Recommended for replicating the rough texture in spare tire storage area. I used the grey in my build, in the spare tire area...

If you want to go super cheap, you can use some Rustoleum flat black (not the rattle-can stuff) and apply it with a sponge. Wear gloves and squeze almost all the paint out, so the sponge is almost dry, and 'dab' the paint on the surface of choice. Experiment with the squeeze part, and different textures of sponge, from foam to loofa (just get your significant other's permission before staling that loofa!). It's more subtle than the rough stuff, like crinkle or bed liner, and easier to remove, if you want to re-do

Back