Routine Maintenance

scanney

RP McMurphy
Reaction score
Hello fellow 650 enthusiasts. What may be simple question... any suggestions as to how to remove the oil strainer cover on the bottom of the engine? After removing the six (6) bolts from the cover it does not want to come off. This is a 1972 Yamaha XS650 (XS2). I don't know the history of the bike, but it may have either been a long time before it has been removed or possibly never. See diagram below. I haven't tried heat yet, but that is likely my next step unless someone has a better idea. I don't want to damage the cover. Perhaps some persuasion with a rubber mallet? Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• Oil strainer cover.JPG
    Oil strainer cover.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 113
What I would try first is a wood dowel. I have in mind some 6-12" long and maybe broom handle diameter. Place it at the edge of the plate and whack it with a 16 oz ball peen hammer. It's probably glued on and you just need to break that bond.

What I would try first is a wood dowel. I have in mind some 6-12" long and maybe broom handle diameter. Place it at the edge of the plate and whack it with a 16 oz ball peen hammer. It's probably glued on and you just need to break that bond.
1+ what Marty said. There's no alignment pins so it'll move side to side. Put a chunk of wood on one side and whack it, then whack the other side. Keep going back and forth 'till it surrenders.

Leave the drain plug in place. Thus give you an easier edge to place the wood . A section of 2x4 works too.
When reinstalling do not put any sealer on the new gasket. A coat of engine oil, grease or anti-sieze works to help seal and prevents te gasket from sticking. This way te next oil change it comes apart easily and the gasket can be reused. I often get 2 or 3 uses of that gasket before they get ba enough to replace.
Leo

I used a 6 inch 2x4 and hammer to drain plug. After many good wacks no go. Just keep wacking or any other suggestions? Heat? Of course all six bolts were removed. Thanks

Not as safe, but I have resorted to this:
41sqyM0q4IL._AC_SY355_.jpg

If you have a heat gun, you might want to try getting it good and warm, then try the wood block again. If you can gain purchase try the wood block on the edge of the pan.

Get a 2 x 4 that is a couple of feet long so that you can stand away from everything and really give it a good whack with a hand sledge. Try whacking from both sides of the bike. Heat from a heat gun should help. Prop the heat gun, and give it a good ten minutes.

Back