Royal Enfield Twin

Look's like the RE twin will be released here in Aus in Feb.
Pricing is:
• Interceptor 650: $9790 ride away
• Continental GT 650: $9990 ride away
A quick look on Bikesales shows about a dozen new and used W800's at around $12000 new.

I do like the Himalayan and have been seriously thinking of buying one as an all roads runabout.
But I do like VStroms too.
And Africa twins and Triumph tigers and...........

Another Enfield twin, 1000cc, but with Australian roots.
CarberryEnfield01.jpg CarberryEnfield02.jpg CarberryEnfield03.jpg

3BB1ABC2-1EF0-4D4D-801C-7B4AA0F4D0E5.jpeg
2FA4BF9C-CAEC-442A-86EC-1F27735FFDE3.jpeg
Rasputin: Your bike and restoration? Gorgeous.
They say the camera never lies. In my opinion Bikes always look better in photographs than in the flesh. Or is it just mine. Just as an aside, the R/Enfield 1960 bike sold in 1962, bought by a friend of mine in 1969. I bought his Garelli 50 before my 16th birthday in December, he used the funds to buy the R/E. He used it until around 72, then put it in his mother’s garage, there it remained until the demise of his mother 25yrs later, then he gave it to a mutual friend to look after. He had it for 16 yrs but did nothing with it, eventually he gave it to me 2013. I then restored it. The bike has come a long way, I have known it since 69, as long as I have owned my Sunbeam. The scary thing is it only seems like yesterday. What of the future, I’m 65 on Monday, I hope for another 25 YRS, that will pass in the blink of an eye.

View attachment 131142 View attachment 131141
They say the camera never lies. In my opinion Bikes always look better in photographs than in the flesh. Or is it just mine. Just as an aside, the R/Enfield 1960 bike sold in 1962, bought by a friend of mine in 1969. I bought his Garelli 50 before my 16th birthday in December, he used the funds to buy the R/E. He used it until around 72, then put it in his mother’s garage, there it remained until the demise of his mother 25yrs later, then he gave it to a mutual friend to look after. He had it for 16 yrs but did nothing with it, eventually he gave it to me 2013. I then restored it. The bike has come a long way, I have known it since 69, as long as I have owned my Sunbeam. The scary thing is it only seems like yesterday. What of the future, I’m 65 on Monday, I hope for another 25 YRS, that will pass in the blink of an eye.

Terrific history on a beautiful bike. It takes commitment to restore rare bikes and yours is stunning! Well done!

Beautiful job Rasputin - absolutely wonderful. It must feel great puttering along the green lanes of northern England on that pretty bike!

Pete

Beautiful job Rasputin - absolutely wonderful. It must feel great puttering along the green lanes of northern England on that pretty bike!

Pete
Yes. Thanks for the comments. The R/E is a 500 Meteor Minor Sports. When I read the write ups of the era it was portrayed as a 100mph machine. Imagine my dissapointment when I finally got it sorted out, the performance was quite disappointing. We have a phrase in Yorkshire, “ Wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding”. Even so it suits my riding style these days, and if I want to get excited, I go on the XS. Thanks.

Yeah, I think that "truth in advertising" was and still is, a relatively rare thing.

As for "doing the ton" - perhaps the speedo would indicate 100 MPH, but from my experience, the accuracy of motorcycle instruments of those days was pretty darned poor so that ACTUAL speed could be much less than indicated.

Oh well, as I said, it probably feels great at whatever speed!

I have known it since 69, as long as I have owned my Sunbeam. The scary thing is it only seems like yesterday. What of the future, I’m 65 on Monday, I hope for another 25 YRS, that will pass in the blink of an eye.

Rasputin, from a fellow Yorkshireman long time resident in Aus I thought this pic might interest you taken a couple of years ago at the National Motor Museum in Birdwood, South Australia.
_MG_7812.jpg

Back