Royal Enfield Twin

That startling come-down is something we're used to in Britain. Must be because Britain was on the winning side in two world wars. The staggering cost of those wars took Britain from World leader to minor industrialised nation. Contrast with the fortunes of two countries which managed to be on the losing side, In Germany's case twice and Japan once, after they benefitted from help to rebuild. Just saying.

Oh yes - I couldn’t agree more with the injustice of it all Raymond.

We actually have an RE dealer in Kansas City (Engle Motors, Independence), a coworker went to buy an Interceptor the other day and they told him they were out. They had 4 on order and all 4 were sold already, they told him him they cannot keep them in stock or order them fast enough.

Indeed. I did find a Canadian dealer which is only about 580 km from my home (not a big deal here) and they had several bikes available…for about $9850 CAD for a leftover 2020 and $10,115 for a new 2021 model (prices include taxes).

Somehow, it seems that the memo about the low-cost of Indian manufacturing got lost in translation. Nonetheless, these bikes sure are popular on the web.

Indeed. I did find a Canadian dealer which is only about 580 km from my home (not a big deal here) and they had several bikes available…for about $9850 CAD for a leftover 2020 and $10,115 for a new 2021 model (prices include taxes).

Somehow, it seems that the memo about the low-cost of Indian manufacturing got lost in translation. Nonetheless, these bikes sure are popular on the web.
Ouch, that seems a little high. They're 6K USD all in with the warranty and service package around here, if you can get one...

Ouch, that seems a little high. They're 6K USD all in with the warranty and service package around here, if you can get one...

Well, if you do the math, $6K USD is about $7245 CAD at the current rate of exchange and then if you add 13% HST (sales tax) it should come out to $8200....so, yeah, we're being gouged.

Hmmmm.....annoying.

I think I'll wait till the turmoil dies down and all the hipsters have had their fun....and there are a few used ones around.

Pete

Last edited:

About the same price in Aus as it is in Canada...........our $'s are about the same..............mind you that is ride away price, Is the US price ride away??

Could always buy a used in the US, 2016 BMW 650 for $11,000.00
https://www.smartcycleguide.com/bmw-c650_sport-motorcycles-for-sale

About $18,000.00 Canadian ????

I got my 2020 Ravishing red Interceptor last fall....$5900.oo plus tax, lic. Our RE dealer doesn't stick on.. dealer prep.. transport fee...etc etc... like every other dealer does. My dealer is in the north metro.. another RE dealer opened up in the RE 650.jpg south metro... they do.." fees ".
The bike is very.. very pleasant. Smooth... responsive.. handles very well.. brakes great. I keep forgetting it's a 6 speed on the freeway. Will it pull your arms out of the shoulder sockets.. ? No.. that's not the point. I removed the federally mandated side reflectors... added crash bars and a touring seat. (basically just thicker foam). The aftermarket is gonzo on " upgrades ". .. they already have several different sized big bore kits .. I can honestly recommend a RE twin. I have a 2011 500 Bullet with Cozy sidecar. I can recommended any newer fuel injected..5 speed Bullet. It prods along loaded with my generous kister and camping gear at 55-60... Wife did a 300 mile day and overnights.
I'd avoid the older 500's, they are pretty much just like their British cousins.. with all the known issues and faults. The 500 Bullet..after..80 years ?.. has been dropped from the line. My RE dealer has several of the 350's about to his the show room floor.

any of the r/e models seem to have a poor resale value in australia , once 2nd hand their price drops like a bomb even with low kls

I hear people talk of them and they get good press in English Magazines .. On the other hand has any magazine ever done a bad review. I have looked at them myself . So a low second hand price can actually be good news . If the quality is OK and parts
available
Please inform if any knowledge why the price second hand is down ...Is the yuppies hipsters getting their hairdo destroyed and having problem with the wind.
When I was at high school one had a ca 1970 RE Interceptor with the chromed small tank.
Pretty much the finest bike one could buy for money then so the brand name has some aura around it
Then even above Norton Dont know why but perhaps it was more expensive

I watched a test on YouTube
The bike is very.. very pleasant. Smooth... responsive.. handles very well.. brakes great

Perhaps the rider at the youtube test did not open up But I got the impression not much was happening
Our twins are not that bad if you rev it -- it can " Rock and Roll " I have not seen that for the Norton.
I would like to se more Oumphhh at the top. Obviously we are not talking ..a racer.
And no one can expect to leave any modern sports bikes behind.
But sometimes you want to overtake a truck. Or showing the lads ..how its done
Dropping one or two gears .And gunning it ... I have not seen that ..
and I think it is strange .. Taking into consideration how twins was ridden then.
And even today there is tendency to " Dynamic Riding " Sometimes If you are more than one
out there. . No one want to be last every time.
But perhaps it is only the ones I ride with

Depends on what is considered poor resale value. New 2021 Interceptors off the dealers floor, range from $9,990.00 up to $12,990.00 ride away. All Gov't fees payed, 3 year warranty and roadside assistance.

Second hand interceptors
First on this page.................also a list of the interceptors, mostly dealers new and second hand.
https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/royal-enfield/interceptor-650/
2019 model with 6,000klm $8600.00, excluding govt charges, about $300.00...........
2 years ago they were still selling for slightly less than the $9,990.00 ride away

Same with the continentals
https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/royal-enfield/continental-gt-650/

Gumtree second hand
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cal...9-royal-enfield-continental-gt-650/1269495559
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/geelong/motorcycles/royal-enfield/1273967343
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/erm...20-royal-enfield-interceptor-650cc/1273736679
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cam...ld-continental-gt-650-custom-648cc/1273229273
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eschol-park/motorcycles/royal-enfield-interceptor/1274092482

make up your own mind..........

That startling come-down is something we're used to in Britain. Must be because Britain was on the winning side in two world wars. The staggering cost of those wars took Britain from World leader to minor industrialised nation. Contrast with the fortunes of two countries which managed to be on the losing side, In Germany's case twice and Japan once, after they benefitted from help to rebuild. Just saying.
That was definitely the case. But I also have a suspicion that a certain British hubris at senior management level was at play as well, from what I have read about the British motorcycle industry in the 60s and early 70s.

That was definitely the case. But I also have a suspicion that a certain British hubris at senior management level was at play as well, from what I have read about the British motorcycle industry in the 60s and early 70s.

I think that's a very fair comment. There was complacency, inertia and hubris. And many people say that contemporary management philosophy, treating motorbikes as 'units' - and the workers as 'production units' - was another factor.

OK kiddies.. 5 June.. Viola, Wis.. I think that's it. Royal Enfield is hosting a " Flat Track " event. You pop $50.oo .. I think.. and get to pound their flat trackers... Visit the RE website... I got a email but since, besides inseam challenged ..I'm also computer dazed. ... If Ma Nature isn't in a snit.. I'll trip down on Interceptor.. possible overnight on Friday.. do the gig.. have lunch with the Nuns.. or pizza at the Barn .... then rip home. It's about 3.5 hour return trip.

My R3 was parked on the porch under the RE sign when I bought it. It was advertised at a price and how it works for me is I made a counter offer for the drive out price which includes all the other charges. Makes things much simpler. A lot of times in the States buying a vehicle can take hours to come to a final price as they bounce you between the salesman, the finance guy and the sales manger who all beat up on you until you give up and sign the check.

After I did the Pre-Delivery Service on one of the new Meteor 350's, I took it for a ride to get some petrol in it. I really enjoyed the comfort, riding position and it feels like a really light bike (it isnt). It would be great if I wanted a bike for around town type of duties. Was able to do the PD without lifting the seat because no way could I work out how to do it. !!!.
Regards Ray.

OK kiddies.. 5 June.. Viola, Wis.. I think that's it. Royal Enfield is hosting a " Flat Track " event. You pop $50.oo .. I think.. and get to pound their flat trackers... Visit the RE website... I got a email but since, besides inseam challenged ..I'm also computer dazed. ... If Ma Nature isn't in a snit.. I'll trip down on Interceptor.. possible overnight on Friday.. do the gig.. have lunch with the Nuns.. or pizza at the Barn .... then rip home. It's about 3.5 hour return trip.

RE is pushing the Flat Track angle, with support from AFT and S&S, they're running an RE series at AFT events and RE is hosting flat track schools using their new 400 singles as training mules. S&S is offering big bore kits, pipes and other HP options for the twin.

Back