Running lean after reassembling carburetors

BruceXS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just got a set of intake gaskets from MikesXS and put them on,
before that the bike ran just fine and had no problems except for a small vacuum leak.
Well after putting those new gaskets on and when the bike warms up, the revs fall slow and it popped on me once.
I have already sprayed carburetor cleaner around the carburetor boots and intake and had no fluctuation in idle whatsoever.
Should I clean the carburetors and see if that helps? Maybe something got in there while I had them off?
81' Yamaha Special XS650 stock.

clean them again, and make sure you get every passageway. use fuel filters. At least then you can be assured carbs are not the problem.
Maybe the vacuum lines from the boots to the petcocks are cracked, letting air in?

I cleaned them and replaced the little vacuum hose between the carb boots and petcock. Still does the same thing.
I did however take it out for a ride and shifted to fourth gear and hit wot,
after I came off the throttle, the bike stayed at 5k rpms even after I pulled in the clutch and hit the brake. I finally came to a stop and it was hanging at 4k rpms. After a couple of seconds it came down to 1200rpm idle and I revved it and it was fine. Rode it back to the house and it did pretty good until I revved it a little hard again.
Is it maybe that my floats aren't filling the bowls up again? It's funny that I hit wot and it does that, then after a 10 or so seconds, it runs fine.

Back