Running no battery with PMA and Pamco how to question

da evil one,

First of all, you have to have a very large capacitor to take the place of the battery.

I would also recommend that you power the PAMCO from a battery sitting on the floor not connected to the bikes charging system for the first startup. Because:

1. The PMA may not work initially due to incorrect wiring so the engine will not start.
2. The PMA may produce a very high voltage due to incorrect wiring and fry the PAMCO.

I would also recommend that you wear safety glasses for that first start up because if #2 happens, then it is possible for the capacitor to explode.

Others who have actually installed a PMA on their bike will be here soon with specific instructions for you.

Last edited:
Get a Sparx Capacitor from LowBrow customs. It's blue, and pretty :)

Wire it up just like a battery, make sure to properly fuse your ignition. DON'T wire the PMA up wrong, if you do, you might be in the wrong hobby, as it is only 3 yellow wires coming from the stator to the reg/rect and then a hot and a ground going to your switch and then to the capacitor.

If you wire it up properly, I have yet to see a single issue with a Pamco and a PMA. It's my ONLY recommendation for a new ignition and charging system on an XS650, as Pete makes some nice components.

Take his advice though, and do a temporary wiring setup just for the ignition using a known good 12V battery, and get the bike fired up, test voltage from the PMA (MUST be connected to a battery/capacitor or you will not get proper readings) and when all is working properly, do your final wiring.

Hugh

Small note: If you are going to use a capacitor, then you do not have to use the thick battery cables. You can use 14 gage wire which allows you to locate the capacitor anywhere you want to.

Now THATS what I call professional and classy. How many people can say they post something on a forum of ANY type about some products they purchased and get the actual OWNERS and DESIGNERS of the products to answer??? Thats just badass. Look forward to enjoying what everybody raves about fellas. I will follow your advice to the "T" on the install. My next question is gonna be anybody got advice on mounting stuff inside a fake oil bag? Ive got a fake oil bag from Bung King mounted up and waiting for the goods to put inside it but, again I'm a newbie to this so any advice about how to mount the coils and capacitor safely inside it would complete my mission! Thanks in advance!

Now THATS what I call professional and classy. How many people can say they post something on a forum of ANY type about some products they purchased and get the actual OWNERS and DESIGNERS of the products to answer??? Thats just badass. Look forward to enjoying what everybody raves about fellas. I will follow your advice to the "T" on the install. My next question is gonna be anybody got advice on mounting stuff inside a fake oil bag? Ive got a fake oil bag from Bung King mounted up and waiting for the goods to put inside it but, again I'm a newbie to this so any advice about how to mount the coils and capacitor safely inside it would complete my mission! Thanks in advance!

no advice re: oil bag, but I would caution that it IS possible to wire the R/R wrong. Many R/R's for the PM stators (both of the ones that I've used e.g.) have a "feedback" wire as well as hot and ground wires. The feedback wire should be pigtailed with the two hot wires. Failure to do this will give you that voltage spike that Pete talked about.

Typically you will have 3 yellow wires in; 2 ground wires (matching color); 2 hot wires (matching color) and 1 "feedback" wire. So, the wire with no color partner is the feedback one.

The eBay seller is now out and Lowbrow is still showing that they are out of stock. :mad:

Any tips on other sellers? I've done the usual google search with no good results.

Thanks.

Is the Sparx a better choice than the Accel and why? Bigger, better, badder, more capacity? I tried a PMA with an accel and was hard to get started. I am now finishing up a Pamco install. Anxious to see if there is a difference.
jefft

Ive read a few people are running 25v 10000uf capacitors.
Are there certain kinds of capacitors to use or just anything with the right voltage and uf?

Digging up and old thread. Is the electronic advance unit conpatabile with the capacitor? I want to run the PMA and Pamco ignition on my 79 but I don't know if I need to buy the Pamco kit without the electronic advance. Any help would be appreciated.

Digging up and old thread. Is the electronic advance unit conpatabile with the capacitor? I want to run the PMA and Pamco ignition on my 79 but I don't know if I need to buy the Pamco kit without the electronic advance. Any help would be appreciated.

In short Yes.
And welcome to the site.
Pix we like pix if ya gotem

image.jpeg
Hey Fellas so I'm a newbie I lucked up and found a great xs650 hard tail that runs great needed some work tho so I stripped it down to bare frame sent the frame out to be rewelded and powder coated and the engine rebuilt once all my parts are back I plan on doing the wiring myself with the help or a good mechanic friend of mine any suggestions or wiring blueprints for me I'm running with a PMA and my plans is to have both kick start and push bottom ignition for those lazy days

Back