running, tooth out?

southerndime333

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok ok. so i got the 79 se to run with the amal's...but.. the timing is at the first notch you come to, on the timing marks.. fully advance??

so it runs like a champ... a bit of a fart in low speeds but after 4000revs its awsome!!

one kick wonder... it idles allright not the best ive heard..

oh yeah allso the atu side of things.. the pin is pointing at 12o clock at TDC

what do you guys think to that??

Maybe your ATU is stuck at full advance? When you rev it up from idle, does it advance even more, past the full advance mark? If so, I wouldn't run it like that, you could hole a piston.

the atu springs back intoplace.. when not running.

i dont own a timing light...so i cant check , earlyer today i checked at a shop. and at idle it was on that first mark.. what say you?

Personally, I wouldn't run it until I could determine if the timing was correct and not advancing too far. You can do a static timing check without a timing light. Use a small 12V trouble light or ohm meter. Check the timing with the ATU in the retarded and advanced position. That will roughly show you where the timing is at idle and full advance.

Running with the timing too far advanced is one of the major causes of holed pistons on these bikes. You've been warned, lol.

The springs on the ATU wear out and get weak. That allows it to go to full advance too early or sometimes immediately. Maybe that's all that's wrong.

Back