rust and cast iron heads

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
yaaa... my douglas t35 bits have finally arrived , was after the gearbox and crank housing/case but he tossed in heads and barrels for shipping cost because water had got to them causing corrosion ,any suggestions on cleaning up the corrosion remembering the bores are not lined in these bikes and barrels and heads are cast iron , the heads are intact so the nuts and valves are intact and still insitu needing to be cleaned up before any possibility of undoing , 1 head especially is very heavily corroded , i have a couple of ideas but thought would put it to the brains trust first as havent played with cast iron before or any thing this heavily oxidized and dont want to stuff it up

DSCF1178.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF1179.JPG
    DSCF1179.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCF1180.JPG
    DSCF1180.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF1181.JPG
    DSCF1181.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF1182.JPG
    DSCF1182.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 129
I would soak for a week or two in an acetone/ATF mix then try to remove all the bit. After that throw 'em in a bead blast cabinet.

Hi
Depending on time frame ,,and what they will be used for
I sometimes buys old rusty things like old tools .. And I put them in an oil bath.
Regular engine oil. There are other rust dissolving oils
But I use engine Oil.

They can sit there for long time.. many weeks
Turning the container now and then.
There might be dirt that makes it look worse than it actually is
Brushing with soft things in the beginning
And harder like wire brush if needed
That i do believe can solve the outside --- on the sealing surfaces more careful method is more suitable.
Not the wire brush
But with time ..rags and work ..the rust will go , And then inspection of bore and gasket surfaces can be done
Since this can be rare parts .. hard to find ...more modern methods can come later if needed
Like blasting or even cutting milling ..

I would soak for a week or two in an acetone/ATF mix then try to remove all the bit. After that throw 'em in a bead blast cabinet.
thanks jim but wondering what you mean by atf mix ,different countries make different meanings some times (products differ) and what blasting medium would you use , have garnet but wonder if maybe to aggresive

wondering what you mean by atf mix
50/50 acetone and automatic transmission fluid... it's tried and proven for loosening rusted bits.
have garnet but wonder if maybe to aggresive
Yeah, garnet might be a bit harsh. I'd just go with a medium grit glass beads. That'll take rust off iron without damaging the iron.

heres a photo of one i prepared earlier .. lol .. but no rust or blasting required when i got it just a bit of minor work but like all bikes they seem to breed so now getting a 2nd one together along with the ww2 douglas generator (same motor) think my xs650 is getting jelous, has anyone used molasses on cast iron and any pitfalls with its use , which might be better molasses(which is cheaper for me) or theDSCF1084.JPG actone mix and is there any pitfalls with the acetone mix

Attachments

• DSCF1082.JPG
    DSCF1082.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 113
I had read before that adding salt to vinegar will expedite the process, I was trying to find the reason for that and I came across this article which I thought described a pretty good, inexpensive way to treat a lot of large parts. ( It came from a woodworking site )

Step 1: Use vinegar and salt to eat rust
The first step is to completely disassemble the plane and hose it down to get rid of the deposited dust, dirt, and loose scale on the plane. Now grab a plastic container deep enough to fully submerge the tool or pieces. In the case of the old Stanley 220 block plane above, a take-out container worked perfectly. After everything is in the container, fill it up with some white vinegar from the supermarket or your cabinet until it is fully submerged.

Once everything is sitting in its vinegar bath, it’s time to add the salt. While vinegar by itself is a mild acid, the salt increases the acidity in the solution and let it chew rust even faster. When using a full gallon of vinegar, add a full cup of salt per gallon of vinegar. For this block plane, two hefty tablespoons, distributed evenly, was the perfect amount.

This is when you get to walk back into the house for dinner or a nap, and forget about that rusty plane for a while. Let it sit for at least 12 hours, but the longer you leave it in there, the more effect it will have. Usually one to three days will have the rust falling off.

Step 2: Start scrubbing
With the tool having sat in the solution, it’s time to get that rust off. Remove the tool from the container and scrub it down with a 3M-style pad. I prefer the pad at this stage because its woven strands won’t clog with the heavy sediment that will be coming off the plane. Any super tough rust can be hit with a brass-bristled brush.

Step 3: Neutralize the acid with baking soda
Now the acid solution covering the tool must be neutralized. Put everything back into the container and fill it with water. Wait, WATER?! Don’t worry, it won’t be in there long. Once things are submerged, add two tablespoons of baking soda (or about one cup per gallon, again) to the water and give it a mix. The baking soda will neutralize the acidity and also cause any vinegar trapped under or behind rust to foam and loosen even more.

Step 4: A final polish, then it’s time for a tune up
Pull the pieces out of the neutralizer after about 10 minutes and scrub everything with some 0000 steel wool. At this point, the steel wool should start bringing a nice cast sheen to your tool without removing the patina. After this final scrub, wipe it down with a rag soaked in denatured alcohol. The alcohol will wick away any moisture left on the metal so rust doesn’t come back to haunt you. Finish the cleaning with a light coat of camellia oil to make sure no new rust sets in.

I don’t know if this product is available to you where you live, but I also had great success with this product, that I used to clean the rust out of a gas tank, non toxic, no fumes, not caustic. It works by chelation at an atomic level.
$39 made four gallons.
C3363E48-8146-4DE4-8F4B-D98B7F24F607.jpeg

I also threw some rusty old screwdrivers in a bucket of that stuff and let it sit overnight, the next morning they looked black, even after rinsing them off, but then I hit them with a hand held wire brush and this is what they looked like.
B4D8ADFB-5412-4B93-A715-E8DE8EF3F135.jpeg

Assuming all the rust is gone: My father grew up in 1920s to 1930s farming. He once told me that cast iron can be pickled to prevent rusting. He mentioned Nitric acid but nothing else. The point being that once you have spent lots of time cleaning up the cast iron you may want to investigate preservations methods to keep it looking good.

I had read before that adding salt to vinegar will expedite the process, I was trying to find the reason for that and I came across this article which I thought described a pretty good, inexpensive way to treat a lot of large parts. ( It came from a woodworking site )

Step 1: Use vinegar and salt to eat rust
The first step is to completely disassemble the plane and hose it down to get rid of the deposited dust, dirt, and loose scale on the plane. Now grab a plastic container deep enough to fully submerge the tool or pieces. In the case of the old Stanley 220 block plane above, a take-out container worked perfectly. After everything is in the container, fill it up with some white vinegar from the supermarket or your cabinet until it is fully submerged.

Once everything is sitting in its vinegar bath, it’s time to add the salt. While vinegar by itself is a mild acid, the salt increases the acidity in the solution and let it chew rust even faster. When using a full gallon of vinegar, add a full cup of salt per gallon of vinegar. For this block plane, two hefty tablespoons, distributed evenly, was the perfect amount.

This is when you get to walk back into the house for dinner or a nap, and forget about that rusty plane for a while. Let it sit for at least 12 hours, but the longer you leave it in there, the more effect it will have. Usually one to three days will have the rust falling off.

Step 2: Start scrubbing
With the tool having sat in the solution, it’s time to get that rust off. Remove the tool from the container and scrub it down with a 3M-style pad. I prefer the pad at this stage because its woven strands won’t clog with the heavy sediment that will be coming off the plane. Any super tough rust can be hit with a brass-bristled brush.

Step 3: Neutralize the acid with baking soda
Now the acid solution covering the tool must be neutralized. Put everything back into the container and fill it with water. Wait, WATER?! Don’t worry, it won’t be in there long. Once things are submerged, add two tablespoons of baking soda (or about one cup per gallon, again) to the water and give it a mix. The baking soda will neutralize the acidity and also cause any vinegar trapped under or behind rust to foam and loosen even more.

Step 4: A final polish, then it’s time for a tune up
Pull the pieces out of the neutralizer after about 10 minutes and scrub everything with some 0000 steel wool. At this point, the steel wool should start bringing a nice cast sheen to your tool without removing the patina. After this final scrub, wipe it down with a rag soaked in denatured alcohol. The alcohol will wick away any moisture left on the metal so rust doesn’t come back to haunt you. Finish the cleaning with a light coat of camellia oil to make sure no new rust sets in.

My take on this is...........

If you don't mix and dissolve the salt and baking soda with the the water first it wont be as effective and wont give an even coverage. This could cause the acid and neutralizer to be patchy, with the neutralizer this could be problematic down the road.

Also White vinegar on its own is very aggressive.............adding salt and leaving for 3 days is going to destroy sharp edges like on threads on bolts and nut and chisel or plane blade edges.

Last edited:
cant copy it but found a good vidio on u tube by project farm where he does a comparison between water (control) molasses , evorust , whit vinegar , cider vinegar and muriatic acid on various surfaces and materials checked at various times , takes a bit of watching but answers a lot of questions .. now decided ... light brush clean , soak in molasses mix at 9-1 for a couple of weeks ,clean and soda blast then into sonic cleaner with a touch of vinegar then clean down with metho .... then paint barrels with a heat proof paint and wipe every thing else with a machine oil .. should then hopefully be right for long term storage as this is a long term project with a lot more bits to find ... so whats the verdict good plan or a bit of over kill .. only thing got a real worry about now is the rusted bolts and nuts

My take on this is...........

If you don't mix and dissolve the salt and baking soda with the the water first it wont be as effective and wont give an even coverage. This could cause the acid and neutralizer to be patchy, with the neutralizer this could be problematic down the road.

Also White vinegar on its own is very aggressive.............adding salt and leaving for 3 days is going to destroy sharp edges like on threads on bolts and nut and chisel or plane blade edges.
what about salt and vinegar for inside tanks , have only ever used just the vinegar , works but takes a few days

Try to avoid the used of salt or Hydrochloric acid. The chloride ions are difficult to completely wash away and can lead to future corrosion.

I use electrolysis for tanks followed by a 2 hour soak with citric acid (you could use vinegar). Then rinse out with loads of water followed by methylated spirits to get the last of the water out and finally followed by a rinse with petrol and dry with the aid of compressed air.

I found electrolysis leaves some patches of soft black oxide which is easily removed with citric acid and I guess vinegar as well.

Edit: A badly rusted tank takes a good 24 Hours with electrolysis.

Back