Salutations....

majikman

XS650 Member
Reaction score
How's it goin?Being the newbie here let me introduce myself...names Rob and been an XS fan since I was a kid.My father was one of the first Yamaha dealers in my area in 1971 and he had the XS in the showroom and I admired it often,jumping on it and pretending I was drivin it and of course the ole' man would hear me vroom vrooming and pull me off it and kick my ass...!!!!

I have owned two thumpers and last fall after a summer of blood,sweat and fears(workin 12 weeks straight no days off) I decided that I should treat myself to a new winter project.I purchased a 1970 XS-1 and it was something that I looked for because my previous XS's were an 81 and 83,always wanted a 70-72 for sentimental reasons I guess.It was a barn find that had been sitting for 25 years and I had to do the usual carb clean up,clean and set points etc and when finished two kicks and she came back to life.However,now I have run into a problem I was'nt expecting.I intended on using the original frame and making a brat style(cause I like the look and want the rear shocks)/old school chopper(cause I like the chopper look and already have extended tubes).Now I'm thinking I should restore to original.My friend (Harley Guy) said I am nuts to start cuttin' the frame.Now I'm on the fence.Now here's a question I would like to find an answer to.A well built custom 1970 XS will probably have the same value as an original 70 XS no?I have seen customized XS for sale in the $5-$7000 range and an original at best $4500.Any input?I will post pics as soon as I figure it out,,,give me a wrench and I know what I'm doin....this computer stuff is all new to me ....LOL

I wouldn't cut it. A nice '70 will be rarer in a few years then yet another cut bike. The '70 frame is weaker than a later model as well. I'd restore it and be proud you have an early XS. You can easily find a later frame that has already been cut.

agreed. You say you want a sentimental feeling bike? Was the bike on the showroom floor chopped? no. restore the 70, and get a later frame to cut up.

I agree. If the bike is complete you will get a lot of satisfaction bringing it back to it's original glory. Took me two years for the XS2. Still buying small parts to improve the overall restore. There are many other bikes (newer) out there you can cut up. But not to many XS1's.

Well it is mostly complete with a few exceptions speedo/tach were stolen while in storage,signals and reflectors are missing,no chain guard as well as a few other small parts and they can all be replaced with after market parts,but to find prestine NOS parts worthy of a restoration .....thats a different story....anyways I figured out how to post pics and thanx for the input...it will be pondered upon

new pic.jpg

new pic 2.jpg

new pic 3.jpg

Agreed those parts would be hard to find/replace in any type of condition. Not sure how much you paid for it but you may be able to part it out and come out ahead. Check out this site. He may be interested in it
http://marks650yamahas.com/

That bike is definitely saveable, it doesn't have to be pristine you could make a nice rider out of it. You can find a lot of the parts like forks, gauges, and exhaust on ebay or repro.

Who cares what it's worth? No XS is gonna make you rich or buy you a house in vacationland. They're all worth not much at all. Do what you feel you should. A motorcycle has to make you feel good. That's it. You don't build or restore one of these bikes to get rich.

My thoughts exactly......but damn....will I kick my ass 20 years from now for not keeping the frame stock....:banghead:

Just my opinion, but there are lot's of modded bikes out there that need a good home.
Yours is a great candidate for a restoration or my preference - a lightly modded rider.
Why not trade with somebody that wants a stocker?
My 79 was cut up for a street tracker, now I'm at a point where I wish it were stock again. The early bikes WERE cheap and dime a dozen. About 12 years ago I turned down an early XS that the guy just wanted to get rid of. Now everybody thinks there XS is priceless.

Restore it to original condition. All of those cut up choppers will end up in the scrap yards, but a well restored original will live on forever.

You're diluted. There are just as many modified cars, bikes, whatever as there are stockers. And they are just as valued. Unless King Kenny rode it, a stock XS 650 ain't that special. It was a mass produced universal Japanese motorcycle. It is a cool bike, a cool engine and that's why people like them. But don't fool yourself into thinking you're going to have a special collectors piece that's gonna roll onto the Pebble Beach Concourse D'elegance. I understand the love for them, but don't think you need to save them all. It's a motorcycle, not a Picasso.

they are such a great looking bike stock in standard form, i would keep er. My 74 needed alot of work, but i brought it back to like as a nice resto-modded rider.

Back