Sand blaster folks - A Question

So the idea is the fine particles stay suspended as the air swirls around and heavy bits drop out, most of which would be good reusable media? Wonder if using a smaller elbow on the inlet to the bucket would increase the speed of the dust to improve the cyclone effect.

Might be a good project for me. The cabinet I have has a small exhaust fan that blows into a large cloth bag sitting next to the cabinet.

So the idea is the fine particles stay suspended as the air swirls around and heavy bits drop out, most of which would be good reusable media? Wonder if using a smaller elbow on the inlet to the bucket would increase the speed of the dust to improve the cyclone effect.

Might be a good project for me. The cabinet I have has a small exhaust fan that blows into a large cloth bag sitting next to the cabinet.

No reuseable media (that I've ever noticed) gets into the bucket. The vac connection on the blaster cabinet is near the top so just the dust gets sucked up into the cyclone filter.

There are some VERY fine particles that make it to the vac, but most of what gets sucked out of the cabinet winds up in the bottom of the bucket.

The idea is to keep from plugging up the filter on your vac.

The idea is to keep from plugging up the filter on your vac.
Ok, that makes sense. The cabinet I have is an old Snap-on unit and has a small exhaust fan mounted to the cabinet that come on when light is turned on and it blows out into abut a 20 gallon cloth bag.

I could see replacing that fan with a filter setup like the five gallon bucket. It would be easier to empty out and if floor gets wet would not be a problem like the cloth bag!

Update to this. I added a second vibrator on the other side of the cabinet. I ordered two more. Why 2 when I only need one. 2 reasons. 1 was I wasn't sure what the threads were for the fittings. I planned on hooking them in series to keep them running at the same speed. So I was going to need a extra airline fitting. 2nd reason I like spares. They are $18.99 or best offer. I offered $16.50 apiece for 2. He took it.
Anyway needed to blast a couple of fork legs today, so installed the second one. It works 3 times better now. Can run them slower and quieter now. Blasted 2 legs and never had to stop to scoop the beads back to the bottom. Now need to work on better lighting.
upload_2021-10-30_17-26-35.png

Bought this guy awhile back for my cabinet. Haven't got it mounted yet. Not sure if big enough.
View attachment 199483

Dredging this post up again. I had the vibrator GLJ suggested sitting in my "Wish List" on Amazon since this subject originally came up, but basically forgot about it. I had a big month last month buying stuff for Mrs. Downeaster so I had a wad of points built up. I was surfing around looking for something to blow my points on and checked my wish list.

"Oh, yeah...", says I, "Been meaning to do that" so I ordered it. Came in a couple of days ago but I didn't have any of the other hardware I needed on hand.

Also had a few bucks left on a Deep Homo gift card so I went up today and bought a valve, some 5/16 air line and a handful of push-to-connect fittings and installed it.

It's REALLY loud and I'm not having any luck throttling it down, doesn't seem to want to work at anything less than full pressure but it works GREAT! Grabbed a random bit to blast as a test drive and never had to stop to move media. Did have to do the "blow back" thing to unclog the pipe a couple of times but I expect that's due to very old (as in...original) media and too many fines.

Back