Sandblasting with Glass Question

af226

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Pricessauto/Harbor freight siphon style blasting cabinet. I have glass media in their right now. I tried cleaning one of the old valve covers and the media chewed it pretty hard. I do not know the grit of the current media as it was given to me by a friend in a generic bucket. I have searched the intewebs, but cant find the proper grit glass to get the satin finish I am looking for.

Does anyone have experience with grit and PSI for a satin finish on aluminum? I have access to this locally:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/55-lb-glass-bead-blasting-abrasive/product/PA0009075524

Says 60-80 grit. That is the smallest grit I can find.

Any advice is appreciated.

Brad
af226

I use 175-325 sieve glass beads @ 30-35psi in vapor blast for finishing aluminum - your cabinet may be a bit different, but I think that's the media you're after. Crushed glass ok for stripping paint on steel.
20220601_171531.jpg

I use 175-325 sieve glass beads @ 30-35psi in vapor blast for finishing aluminum - your cabinet may be a bit different, but I think that's the media you're after. Crushed glass ok for stripping paint on steel.
View attachment 235700
https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/GLASS-BEADS,50LB-,170-325-MESH,NO-13/p/AGCGLB17032550

This looks like the same product?? Would this run in a siphon feed blast cabinet?

My cabinet: https://www.princessauto.com/en/floor-model-abrasive-blasting-cabinet/product/PA0008046492

Is this only good for vapor blasting? Or will it work in a dry blast cabinet?

Thanks

I use the 80 grit in my cabinet and I think it's what you're after. But, I don't do a lot of parts that are going to be polished, mostly I do rough castings like cylinders and heads. For parts I'm going to polish, I usually use Roloc discs or sand them to remove corrosion. The flanged alloy rims are something I'd like to try blasting on though. They won't fit in my cabinet but a buddy has a bigger one that will take them.

Just a heads up and warning - don't blast any internal engine surfaces. The glass beads will embed into the alloy and they won't wash out. But, once you run the engine and it heats up, they'll be released and wreak havoc on your bearings.

I use the 80 grit in my cabinet and I think it's what you're after. But, I don't do a lot of parts that are going to be polished, mostly I do rough castings like cylinders and heads. For parts I'm going to polish, I usually use Roloc discs or sand them to remove corrosion. The flanged alloy rims are something I'd like to try blasting on though. They won't fit in my cabinet but a buddy has a bigger one that will take them.

Just a heads up and warning - don't blast any internal engine surfaces. The glass beads will embed into the alloy and they won't wash out. But, once you run the engine and it heats up, they'll be released and wreak havoc on your bearings.
Thanks for the heads up. I am looking to blast most of the old motor and have seen online the "Satin" finish not and nice as vapor but still much better that 45 yr old dirt and grime. I don't really want a polished finish. just cleaner and Aluminum finish. Do you think the 60-80 grit would work??

Brad
af226

I use ~80 grit glass beads in my leaky HF cabinet. Running about ~15 cfm@90psi.
No issues cleaning aluminum or steel, although it can be a little slow to remove thicker paint.
I don't usually use the glass beads on stuff that I'm planning to polish.
For cleaning carbs and delicate bits I use baking soda, it's a little slow sometimes but it's cheap in big bags from Costco.

I use ~80 grit glass beads in my leaky HF cabinet. Running about ~15 cfm@90psi.
No issues cleaning aluminum or steel, although it can be a little slow to remove thicker paint.
I don't usually use the glass beads on stuff that I'm planning to polish.
For cleaning carbs and delicate bits I use baking soda, it's a little slow sometimes but it's cheap in big bags from Costco.

HF sells a big bag of “heavy grit” soda that give a great finish on carbs

Attachments

• BE9D9570-614D-42D5-9711-3DDA9A64E491.jpeg
    BE9D9570-614D-42D5-9711-3DDA9A64E491.jpeg
    424.4 KB · Views: 52
HF sells a big bag of “heavy grit” soda that give a great finish on carbs
That would work better but I haven't seen that in stock that at my local HF and I haven't looked any further locally.
In fact a while back HF was out of stock of glass beads and I had to order a bucket from another source.
The shipping sucked on that.

Back