1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Scam going around forums

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by OHRider, Sep 5, 2020.

1. OHRider

OHRider XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Details of scam

1. You post in the "Wanted" section that you are looking to buy an item, could be anything.
    2. You receive a personal message from a member saying that they know of someone else who is selling that item and suggests you contact then. A name and email address is provided.
    3. Basically you then drop this person an email and yes they are selling such an item (lucky you...). A price is agreed and you are asked to pay for it via PayPal friends and family or more likely an anonymous payment method like 'cashapp'.
    4. Of course you never receive the item in the post and you have little recourse via the payment provider.

This all sounds pretty obvious but the difference is that the member refers you to someone else who is external to the forum. No doubt one of the same of course.

Note that the forum member who makes contact usually has few posts, and those posts tend to be vague. They send pm's to multiple members posting in the "Wanted" section.

Advice

1. If you get responses to your "Wanted" post then check out the member(s) who respond. Have they been a member a long time ? Do they have a decent number of posts ? You can check out each by clicking on their username.
    2. Treat referrals to third parties as very suspicious.
    3. We advise that you do not use PayPal friends and family as you have no recourse if it goes belly up. Any anonymous payment methods are asking for trouble.

From the Tiger 800/900 forum

2. DINKSTER

DINKSTER XS650 Member

yep they got me.....

gggGary likes this.
  3. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

4. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I'm sending this to travs attention. I've noticed a few "new members" with those vague posts but no obvious scam attempts. I've had a few I've followed cuz my scam radar was blinking. but only trav has access to look into accounts, pm's etc.

Old RT3 Guy, YamadudeXS650C and Jim like this.
  5. Even I can't look into PMs without some effort (searching the database directly which is quite cumbersome). Report new accounts with vague posts and I'll look into it as much as I can. Best advice is to be diligent and follow the suggestions in the first post of this thread. If things get worse, I may have to limit or even turn off private messages for new members.

YamadudeXS650C, Mailman, GLJ and 2 others like this.
  6. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

Would it help members if this problem was posted to the home page as a warning

7. gggGary

It'll be fine, Andy's here now.
    andy barny bomer.jpg

8. chinny1953

chinny1953 XS650 Enthusiast

Cheers for the above info guys

Jim and gggGary like this.
  9. timbeck

timbeck XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

Scammers are diligent in their quest to separate you from your money.......

tim

10. Grimmith

Grimmith Samurai

Iowa
    Where are these slut dragons at! I'll scam my fist up their ass:devil:

Marlin72xs and gggGary like this.
  11. billy icon

billy icon test pilot,gunnie pig, and all around experiment

scaming the scammers would be so rewarding, Not sure how to do that but Ive heard of it being done before.

Marlin72xs, TwoManyXS1Bs and gggGary like this.
  12. gggGary

13. Grimmith

Grimmith Samurai

Iowa
    I'm thinking it would take a hacker and the admin of the site to "illegally" trace where post came from. Perhaps

gggGary likes this.
  14. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Speaking of scams, what happened to the guy here selling fake passports? I wanted to get a few and sneak into Canada! :laugh2:

TwoManyXS1Bs, Old RT3 Guy and gggGary like this.
  15. Grimmith

Grimmith Samurai

Iowa
    omg for real? that was a thing?? who the hell tries to sell passports on a motorcycle forum!:laugh::laugh::lmao::lmao:

gggGary likes this.
  16. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Yeah it was real. The guy pops up every once in a while before being kicked off.

Grimmith, gggGary and Jim like this.
  17. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

It's actually lots of different accounts... mostly Russian IP's. I got 'em. :boxing::guns::boxing:

18. gggGary

Pete finds em, we kill em I think he's got an ulterior motive...

19. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yeah... that Pete's quiet the character ain't he....

u4hou.jpg

20. Grimmith

Grimmith Samurai

Iowa
    wooooooowwww....thats crazy hahahahahaha dude must have an IQ the size of his shoe. like "Hey motorcycle dudes, wana fake passport, i know its not a motorcycle but its pretty cool and has no miles":lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Jim and Mailman like this.