Scary fork failure on a new BMW

retiredgentleman

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I saw this thread over on advrider.com , and thought it appropriate for the gang here to see.

This was a 2011 BMW g650 gs model, with only 95 miles on it:yikes:.It was a new purchase and being ridden by a grandmother. She was scraped up, but no broken bones, so she was very lucky. You might think it was just an isolated incident, but its not the first fork failure for that model.

I don't want this to become a BMW bashing thread. I'm just posting this as information of bad things that can happen, even to new motorcycles.

I believe BMW builds quality products, so this must be a design weakness. I hope BMW pays attention and makes corrections, before someone is seriously hurt.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700385

Attachments

• DSC02266.jpg
    DSC02266.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC02269.jpg
    DSC02269.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 167
For sure, that kind of failure should never occur. Forks should bend before they break. BMW had this same thing happen a number of years ago, and its believed they increased the strength of the fork, but apparently not enough.

like gsxrs breaking the frame behind the head tube a few years back....my ducati 999 just destroys rear subframes....always break.:laugh: heavy undertail exhaust is the culprit.

This is not surprising... all BMW singles are made in Korea by Kymco. If you jump onto Adventure Rider and find the , "show us your worst", you will see that a majority of engine failure and chassis failures are the single engined powered Korean bikes.

**I see now your posting from ADV... :p

Back