Scissy grab rail spec

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
When I came to fit the grab rail today to my 79 special ll I found the fixing holes did not match those on the bikes frame and fender ?

The grab rail came with the bike in a box of bits so I had assumed it would fit .Until now I hadn't intended to fit a scissy bar however it would make it a lot easier for me to get the bike up on the main stand without getting a hernia.:laugh:

The distance between the fixing holes on the grab rail is approx 9" in old money whereas the distance between the centre of the top suspension spigot and the fixing hole in the rear fender is approx 10.25 " ?

I have checked numerous scissy bars on ebay etc and all of them seem to be for a 1980 onward model so presumably Yamaha must have made some changes to the position of the suspension mounting point on the frame after 1980 ?

Can anyone give me the lowdown and perhaps verify the fixing point dimensions on their 1979 special
The first image is the late type bar that I have the second bar is listed on ebay as a 1980 bar yet is quite different .?

Attachments

• xs650 grab rail.JPG
    xs650 grab rail.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 304
  • xs650 1980 grab rail.jpg
    xs650 1980 grab rail.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 330
That second bar isn't right either. There was a third style, used on all the Specials up through 1980. It incorporates the turn signal mounts on it and is chrome steel, not alloy. Here's one on eBay .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-1978...m5d57edf2dc:m:m9G2Fr2TMFok_DZZTmqKROQ&vxp=mtr

Here's the one on my buddy's '80 Special II .....

JoesMuffs3.jpg

Here's the parts listing. Although N.L.A., you can see by the drawing what it looks like and also get a list of models it came on .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y.../XS650G/FRONT FENDER - REAR FENDER/parts.html

thank you 5twins . :thumbsup:

There are lots of similar scissy barson UK ebay but the sellers often don't seem sure which years they might fit.
I suppose I need to check the fixing dimensions first before I bid on anything :wink2:

re incorporating the turn signals I did notice one bar that had the original light fitting and lens included .I'm not sure if it is a world wide fitment or just US?
I guess it must be an additional stop /tail light ? It contains two seperate bulbs

The turn signal lamps presumably thread through the rear fender /frame lug and the scissy bar centre fixing point when its fitted

Attachments

• grab rail stop lamp.jpg
    grab rail stop lamp.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 284
I recalled an add in the classifieds that had the extended sissy bar that would fit your and my bike. I'm good with the two styles that were available for the '78 and '79 Specials and am currently running the extended one.
Here's the link
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41300&highlight=Sissy
Peruse it and you'll see the two styles - as he has both for sale.

I recalled an add in the classifieds that had the extended sissy bar that would fit your and my bike. I'm good with the two styles that were available for the '78 and '79 Specials and am currently running the extended one.
Here's the link
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41300&highlight=Sissy
Peruse it and you'll see the two styles - as he has both for sale.

thanks nj1639 :D

I like the look of the extended bar myself but it wouldn't suit my current configuration and I'm really only fitting one because I cannot lift my bike onto the main stand ! Theres probably a technique but I haven't got it and its killing my back.
I think that the standard bar would provide me with the best lifting grab height.

Theres some lovely stuff for sale there... I like those pipes and a few other bits. yummy

Post #2 has all the info regarding the right grab-rail for your bike, no need to get any measurements

I have removed the alloy grab-rail and mounted the earlier one to my 80SG and it fits perfectly. Now have 2 mounting points for the indicators

heres a comparison between the 1980 G&SG solid aluminium grab rail.......... and the 1978 S&SE/79 2F special ll chromed steel grab rail.
The different frame fixing points and profile can clearly be seen.
The 79 bar has a 10.25" centre to centre measurement between fixing points and the Later bar is just 9" so they are clearly not interchangable

According to the Boats parts link that 5twins kindly provided the part number is 2M0-21645-00-00 and fits the following models
1978 S
1978 SE
1979 2F
1980 G
1980 SG

As 5twins says It would appear that there were two similar styled chrome steel scissy bars available ...one with the early and the other with the late fixing hole dimensions .
I have included a seperate image I found of the later 1981 and up models pattern chromed steel bar which has the 9" fixing holes .
This later pattern clearly has the combined fender and flasher fixing similar to that of the late 1981+ pattern aluminium bar.
Hopefully this thread will prove helpful to other owners who are as confused as I was about compatibility of these parts

Attachments

• xs650 grab bar comparison.JPG
    xs650 grab bar comparison.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 317
  • xs650 1981 grab rail.jpg
    xs650 1981 grab rail.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Boats.net part no cross reference system is flawed and shows parts fitting bikes that they wont fit and vice versa.

If you don't believe me then go through the Special model grab-rails from 78SE -83SK

If you buy parts based on boats.net reference without cross referencing with Biker.net then there is a good chance the part will be wrong for your application

80G is the top grab-rail and 80SG is the bottom grab-rail in Peanuts first pic, both of these have the same part no according to Boats.net. Second pic is the 81H Special II grab-rail, one model only. 81SH has the alloy Grab-rail, same as the bottom one in pic one. The alloy grab-rails part no changes in 81 but they still state it will fit any Special from 78SE -83SK

Last edited:
That bottom one looks familiar !

All OK?

yes everything is fine Paul. the grab rail fits perfectly. Excellent packing by the way and a superfast delivery thank you .:thumbsup:
Thank you for including the fixing bolts . I doubt I would have been able to find any oem bolts anywhere.
I left you feedback yesterday but didn't find a chance to pm you sorry.

Hopefully will fit today between showers and post a piccy. its going to make a terrific difference to handling the bike in the confined spaces where its stored
Johnny

Here we go :thumbsup: luvly jubbly.
I'll probably bend the grab rail back to get more clearance to the seat. Its too tight to grab and catches the seat when lifted but otherwise its perfect!:bike:

Attachments

• xs650 pauls grab rail.JPG
    xs650 pauls grab rail.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
I've mentioned it many times before but it bears repeating. If you want to ease centerstand deployment, add grease fitting to the pivots. It makes an amazing difference. Dry, rusty pivots and pivot bolts bind right up when you put a load on them and try to put the bike on the stand. My 650 is the easiest bike I've ever owned to put on the centerstand. But there are some additional reasons for that besides the grease fittings. First, I have longer than stock rear shocks fitted, and that reduces the distance I have to lift. Second, I have a Standard model and it sits higher on it's 18" rear wheel. All the Special models are harder to put on the centerstand because they sit lower with their 16" rear wheels and more laid down rear shocks. Yamaha never changed the stand length or location for them.

Back