Scoring on bottom of diaphragm slide

Fusion

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, total noob here. My first carb disassembly, I noticed some unexpected scoring on the bottom of the diaphragm slide. Bad air filtering? Should I consider replacing this part?

Attachments

• 2015-06-09 14.56.46.jpg
    2015-06-09 14.56.46.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 305
carbding1.jpg

I had a similar issue only my ding was in the carb throat right under the slide. Folks here said don't worry about it, I didn't, and haven't noticed any issues.

In both cases, my thinking is that some Previous Owner had a stuck slide and used a screwdriver or something to pry it loose. I can't think how else gouges like that would happen.

You're basically sand blasting your slide. What air filter? Air box? Oiling air filter?

Posted via Mobile

Thanks for the responses guys

You're basically sand blasting your slide. What air filter? Air box? Oiling air filter?

Posted via Mobile

That was my thought too. It's the stock air box and the filters look way newer than any other part on the bike. I don't need to oil those do I? Picked it (the bike) up last September, PO did the filter change

EDIT: Forgot to mention, she's a 1983 Special

Last edited:
Yup pry marks, if you have a stuck slide Remove the gas from the float bowl then point a hair dryer in at the slide, it will soften the varnish and the slide will come out while it's warm. Then remove the varnish from slide and bore, avoid getting any solvent on the diaphragm. Do not use a heat gun they get too hot.

Wish someone had told ME that hair dryer trick about 10 years ago......

Dress the rough areas with very fine sand paper like 1000 grit make sure the slide moves freely in the bore. you don't need to remove the marks, just knock down the high spots. I've used worse with no problems.

Thanks for the responses all, I'll use some 1000 grit carefully get it to where it needs to be. I'm told there's a particular measurement to know the exact amount of freeness for the slide, I remember physics class we had a special kind of weighing tool with a hook...

don't over think it. just knock down the high spots, and ensure free movement.
Yes, math 105 (mechanical) has its uses, but just have to know when enuf is enuf.

Back