Scotch Whiskey

This Rough Rider double-casked bourbon my buddy gave me is A-OK.

I've enjoyed Glenmorangie's double-casked port- and sherry-finished Scotch and this Chardonnay-finished bourbon sips as easily. Starts sweet and malty, finishes toasty warm and full of vanilla.

IMG_20180101_212715001.jpg

There are a plethora of palliative proprietaries to the Winter Blues that us Northerners suffer,
including Buddy Guy's work, and John Lee Hooker,

....but Scotch Whiskey is one that I sometimes turn to.

Dewars has got what it takes, but like single malts, my budget can't always manage it.
Recently, I discovered Ancient Clan, which has a similar refined taste.

View attachment 111478

Anyone else got other suggestions?
Scotch lovers out there ?
Dude,
Try "The Famous Grouse" not expensive and a nice honey colour.

Always wondered why its Scotch and not Scottish Whisky?....anyone....
Scotch is an adjective meaning "of Scotland". The modern usage in Scotland is actually Scottish (!) or Scots, and the word "Scotch" is only applied to specific products, mostly food or drink, such as Scotch whisky, Scotch pie, Scotch broth, and Scotch eggs

News from The World of Spirits:

New Zealanders construct island bar in effort to avoid alcohol ban

On the rocks, please!

A group of creative New Zealanders constructed a sand island bar in coastal waters in effort to avoid a ban on drinking in public places.

The swim-up structure located in the Tairua estuary on the Coromandel peninsula, includes a picnic table and ice box for spirits.

Locals said the floating pub is in "international waters" and thus exempt from an official liquor ban.

article-bar-2-0102.jpg

Tebo,

I've been binge-watching Secret Agent Man (Danger Man) from the 60's, lately.
A classy guy.
And drinking scotch throughout much of each episode; how does he manage to hit his targets??
I noticed last night that he is drinking Johnny Black.
Me, too, sometimes; great taste.

4d24218fea52d9c855d31f810302b92b--antenna-tv--s.jpg
DD_Servility2.jpg
243597_1.jpg

Attachments

• 4d24218fea52d9c855d31f810302b92b--antenna-tv--s.jpg
    4d24218fea52d9c855d31f810302b92b--antenna-tv--s.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DD_Servility2.jpg
    DD_Servility2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 11
The Scots spell it whisky and the Irish spell it whiskey, with an extra 'e'. This difference in the spelling comes from the translations of the word from the Scottish and Irish Gaelic forms. Whiskey with the extra 'e' is also used when referring to American whiskies..

Hi 'dude,
although many decades ago I was told " Grant's, Bell's or Teachers are the best blends" I chose to sip in the New Year by
safely disposing the last of my Johnny Walker Red Label ( 2/3rds Scotch, 1/3rd water + 1 ice cube)
And yeah, although I've never previously noticed the different spelling my birthday bottles (how well my friends know me) agree.
The Glenfiddich is whisky and the Jamieson is whiskey.
But an American Whiskie? I always thought that "whiskie" was a euphemism for a sexual deviant.

Hey Fred !

Must be pretty cold up there in Saskatoon.
Psychiatrists say that the bitter cold can eventually lead to all sorts of aberrant thoughts.......;)

As I understand it, Japan has been doing quite well in the international whisky market.
Japanese companies own a lot of the whiskey, incl. Maker's, and btw Canadian Club. Jack Daniels' "Tennessee" whiskey is owned by a Louisville company. LOL. There has been a KY/TN rivalry between Maker's and Jack for a little while... Ezra Brooks when it was 90 proof was nice. The best I've had is actual moonshine, which is a whole different thing. Although it can be trash, too. Poison even.

TV of that era must have been financed by the alcohol industry. If not, TV was sure giving away great promotion.
"Product placement" started very early, didnt it ?
The other thing about those 60's episodes was that almost everyone was smoking a cigarette. Made me cough just watching it.

^Did you watch that SiFi Channel Twilight Zone marathon over New Year's? There was an episode where doctors and nurses are chain smoking in a hospital, and that wasn't the twilight zone part :) I remember people smoking in class back in the day and no one objected. Maybe need to bring things like that back to encourage a little more tolerance in general these days...

Last edited:
^Did you watch that SiFi Channel Twilight Zone marathon over New Year's? There was an episode where doctors and nurses are chain smoking in a hospital, and that wasn't the twilight zone part :) I remember people smoking in class back in the day and no one objected. Maybe need to bring things like that back to encourage a little more tolerance in general these days...
Missed that marathon.
My favorite episode, however, was the alien invasion with Agnes Moorehead as the old lady

13.The_Invaders.jpg

A couple of my favorites, though not cheap.
Screen_Shot_2017-10-09_at_10.17.49_PM.png
This one is an Islay, so it's tastes of peat and smoky.

Screen_Shot_2017-06-03_at_10.17.57_PM.png
This Speyside is smoky and rather complex due to the 2nd barrel.

I don't recommend these to someone unfamiliar with scotch whisky. It would be like giving a Guinness to someone who never had a beer before.

Not really a good idea...kids smoking in class. A friend's kid told him 2 boys were passed out in the back of a classroom of theirs and the teacher
just ignored them. I'm pretty sure it wasn't smoking though.:hellno:

Back