Scramberized Build

Growl

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just glommed different aspects into a bike to meet my needs. I might call it: Cafenduro

These pics show it after firing up after an 8 year build process. It ran well but poured gas out of the T that feeds gas into the carbs... carbs are off here.

Attachments

• XS650 Cafenduro.jpg
    XS650 Cafenduro.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 470
  • XS650 mods.jpg
    XS650 mods.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
I'm REALLY interested in that oil filter mod! For us street riders, maybe only need to find a chrome or flat black filter. Please "show your work" ;^D

Got it running better today. Took it for a ride. The 38 tooth rear sprocket did not make first into the stump puller I expected... it's decent but not radical... 5th, on the other hand is like sweet at 40 and busy at 50. For my needs... carrying a passenger to explore dirt roads in the Sierras... it will work, but most of you who might be thinking dual sport XS, I'd suggest stock gearing (17/34) with the 5th gear overdrive. The TX750 swingarm and frame reinforcements worked! The bike, even with taller suspension and dirt tires, is stable and holds a line like never before. I still have to sort a couple things, something is drawing the battery, even with the key off... hmmm. The voltmeter is an inexpensive addition and a must have... just let's you know where the lectric system is at.

Attachments

• 20150906_174928-1-picsay.jpg
    20150906_174928-1-picsay.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 313
  • 20150906_174955-1-picsay.jpg
    20150906_174955-1-picsay.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 251
Now that I have more time on the build I take it back about the 17/38 tooth sprocket combo being way too low... after a bit of carb tweeking - this combo works! The conventional thinking is you gotta raise the gearing to get away from major vibing in the 58-70 mph range.... I used to run a 17/30 tooth combo, which I liked. I found first gear in that case to be okay for the street but wanted a lower gear for the dirt roads... so... I encountered something on the net that a Finnish fellow named Jukka wrote: that the 17/38 gearing worked for him, that it was great on the freeway, that there is another sweet spot for cruising higher up the RPM range. So I tried it on this build. First is now very good on the dirt, though not the stump puller granny gear I expected... Storming around the back roads kept me reaching for a higher gear, though... I was convinced that I must go back to the stock 17/34.

Then I rode to work today on the freeway... what a revelation! what a game changer! 55-70 is great! Right in the power band! Significantly smoother than the stock 17/34. Jukka, you are right!

Now if I were going to cruise from one coast to the other, I would still use the 17/30 combo... but between stock and the 38 tooth rear.... 38 is better!

What size rear tire are you running? I've been looking for some dual sport tired and can't seem to find any I like.

That is a Vee Rubber VRM-163 dual sport motorcycle tire. The size is 120/90-16 (stock is 130/90-16). I had to search the net but it's out there. It is tubeless! It didn't cost too much either. So far I am liking it... Decent on the road and off.

That's an interesting bike. Hope you have a lot of fun with it. That oil filter looks a little exposed in the case of a 10-15 MPH lay down. Any close calls so far? Did you have any considerations of putting a 21" front wheel on it?

Thanks J Benidict! I have not dumped in many years. I remember the times when I developed my dirt riding chops... flying along, popping wheelies, getting air, challenging myself... crashing, sliding in the dirt.... sometimes laughing out loud. Sometimes getting hurt. The challege to me now is to ride easy, stay in control and avoid crashing. Of course it is a possibility and the oil filter is vulnerable. I should carry a spare.

I always admired the XS650, but came upon the notion to dual sportize it accidently... My wife and I found ourselves exploring dirt roads and it simply did very well... sure footed, tourqey, nimble, stable, the 19" front wheel never seemed to be a deficit. Other things called out for improvement but not that. Keep in mind that my off pavement requirement is more Honda 90 than motocrosser.

Last edited:
It looks a lot like the Triumph 500/650 scramblers/desert racers of the early to mid 60s. One of the things I like about the XS650 on the street is the midrange torque. When I'm riding in city traffic with a maximum speed of 30 to 40 MPH, I mainly use second or third gear and very rarely get into fourth. First is for getting it moving and up to about 10 MPH. Fifth might as well not be there. I suppose that's the same strength of the bike in the "fire-roading" you are going to do.

Is this bike running a stock front suspension?

The bike, even with taller suspension and dirt tires, is stable and holds a line like never before.

Did you simply install longer shocks and how long? If the forks are stock, did you do anything to them?

I put 14.25" shocks on the rear and left the front end mostly stock. I did put in the cheapo emulators from Mike's XS but would not bother if doing again. After fussing with adjustments to the emulator & with oil weight, the front end is about equivalent to a stock fork with Minton mods. The front end is adequate. Perhaps with appropriate single rate springs it would be better but the springs in the forks match the shocks well. I think they are stock, came with the bike. The best thing you can do to the stock forks is carefully adjust them to reduce stiction. I also eliminated the fork wipers and am using gaiters instead, to further reduce stiction.

What makes my bike handle well is the TX750 swingarm and welded reinforcements to the frame.

Last edited:
Progressive wound springs make tuning an emulator valve about impossible. I don't know anyone happy with that combination. I have emulators and straight rate springs in an XS11. That thing rocks, but is set up for smooth pavement.

I'm interested in the scrambler conversion if I can pull it off without it being a huge production. Your work is encouraging.

I got my springs from Traxxion Dynamics. They had to know what bike, my weight, and how the bike is used to come up with a spring. I think they're .95 kg/mm, but the bike is 100 lbs heavier than the XS650, I'm 235 lbs, and I ride sporty on twisted, but smooth pavement. I expect the spring for a 650 scrambler might be vastly different.

Last edited:
Back