Seal change out

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I finally got off my ass and changed out my shift shaft seal and clutch actuator rod seal which to my surprise was super easy after researching it within the Forum. I didn't want to drain the oil so I opted for a different approach. I had a large cardboard shipping box that I put a packing blanket over and leaned the bike into it. Worked great! leaner.JPG I figured while everything was apart, I'd swap out my clutch cable for one that I ordered a while back that was supposed to be a better cable and the darn thing was too short. of course I didn't find this out until everything was back together and I went to hook up the lever. Well, off comes the peg, shift lever and side cover again. Swap out the cable, put it back together and install the lever. Crap!!!!! Lever was "sticking". WTF! What now? pull the cover off AGAIN and everything was working great. Kick myself in the head, loosen the perch screw(too tight) and bolt everything up again.:doh: Took a 40 MI ride and no leaks......plus, I got really quick at getting that right side off and on.:bike:

Well done WW!

Tell me, how did you get the shift shaft seal out without removing the shaft itself?

Pete, I just used a hook-bill knife. Tapped it with a hammer to penetrate the middle of the old seal and basically a good tug/pry and it came right out. Greased the new one and it basically went back in from finger pressure. I did use a piece of pipe slid over the shaft to give it a few taps to set it good. Basically took minutes and leaning the bike kept me from having to drain the oil. other than my cable issue it was about an hour job.

I probably should have taken more pics. Once you take off the cir-clip and the washer the seal is right there and it's not too tiny to get at. Only problem is now I'll have to start oiling my chain as that fixed the self oiler.

I have read some other complaints about clutch cables being too short; where did you source yours ? Was the whole cable too short (overall length) , or the sheath?

I bought it from MM over at 650 central. when I was doing my build I bought some things from him and he told me that the Mikes XS cable I had was probably crap and he had much better ones. I've had it sitting on the shelf waiting for the right time to install so I never really checked it. The sheath and the cable were both too short by about 2 inches. Made a big difference.

I bought it from MM over at 650 central. when I was doing my build I bought some things from him and he told me that the Mikes XS cable I had was probably crap and he had much better ones. I've had it sitting on the shelf waiting for the right time to install so I never really checked it. The sheath and the cable were both too short by about 2 inches. Made a big difference.

Dang - what a PITA Bret!

Perhaps you were expecting an XS Special cable (for the rototillers and other applications), which is about 58 1/2", while the regular cables are 55".

Quicker than getting the dang clutch off and back on to let you get to the shift shaft I bet. Worth mentioning about seal replacement in general, is make a mental note at least of how deep the old seal sat before you dig it out to replace it. Or if the seal has a ridge on it note where the ridge and the groove it wil fit into are.

I finally got off my ass and changed out my shift shaft seal and clutch actuator rod seal which to my surprise was super easy after researching it within the Forum. I didn't want to drain the oil so I opted for a different approach. I had a large cardboard shipping box that I put a packing blanket over and leaned the bike into it. Worked great!View attachment 106098 I figured while everything was apart, I'd swap out my clutch cable for one that I ordered a while back that was supposed to be a better cable and the darn thing was too short. of course I didn't find this out until everything was back together and I went to hook up the lever. Well, off comes the peg, shift lever and side cover again. Swap out the cable, put it back together and install the lever. Crap!!!!! Lever was "sticking". WTF! What now? pull the cover off AGAIN and everything was working great. Kick myself in the head, loosen the perch screw(too tight) and bolt everything up again.:doh: Took a 40 MI ride and no leaks......plus, I got really quick at getting that right side off and on.:bike:

Hi WW,
I got this book of outhouse wall graffiti. There's one that's appropriate to your cable problem:-
First couplet.
"This little outhouse is no good at all.
The seat is too high and the hole is too small."
Second couplet (in different handwriting)
"To this I must add the obvious retort,
that your arse is too big and your legs are too short,"
Or in your case, on checking out the photo of your really nice custom bike:-
Your replacement cable length is perfect, it's your custom bars that are too tall for it's reach.

Do you remember which cable you ordered or if you ordered by length or year?
I ordered the stock cable for the '72. The one I got from Mike's fit just fine. Fred, my bars may be a wee bit taller but the spread is less so the stock cable should have worked. I'm pretty sure when I ordered the one that's on there that's what I got then as well. Who know's.....over the course of the year I spent building it I can't remember what I was thinking 6 months in the past. lol

I ordered the stock cable for the '72. The one I got from Mike's fit just fine. Fred, my bars may be a wee bit taller but the spread is less so the stock cable should have worked. I'm pretty sure when I ordered the one that's on there that's what I got then as well. Who know's.....over the course of the year I spent building it I can't remember what I was thinking 6 months in the past. lol
Hi WW,
most likely the 'dude nailed it. What your bike needs is a Special cable and the cable you got is meant for a Standard.
And your memory fogs at 6 months? I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday.
Although I do remember visiting a friend's 90 year old grandpa in his retirement home.
He was in a vile mood because they'd switched his liver & onions supper for an omelette.
I asked "why's he so pissed off? Ain't that a good swap?"
I was told "Liver & onions for supper is the only way he knows it's Thursday"

Back