Sealing up cases, coat the oil seals with sealant?

drdano

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the consensus on whether to coat or not coat the oil seals with __insert favorite case sealant__ prior to setting the cases together and torquing everything down? I'm at the stage with my XS1 engine that I'm ready to button it up, however, I'm torn with whether I should or should not put a light coating of case sealant on the outer edges of the three oil seals prior to dropping the case bottom on. Thoughts from those who've been down this route before? I've read of folks doing this, but never on any engine I've torn down that wasn't messed with before seen any of the seals with old sealant on them.

Scene: OldSchool '70's Jap motorcycle dealership, out back in the shop.

Sealers were only used between machined, ungasketed aluminum surfaces.

All gaskets and seals were assembled dry, per mfg directions. Sealant usage was considered unprofessional and frowned upon, unless used to solve difficult or damaged surfaces. Of course, these kinds of bikes were still relatively new, and shop procedures included thorough engine parts cleaning. Using gasket sealers would guarantee difficulty in future servicing, possible damage in disassembly. Plus, it just added cost and labor when it wasn't necessary.

Fast forward to today. After 40+ years of checkered history, who knows what the condition is of these old parts. Seems that there's a significant incidence of warped head/cylinder mating surfaces, and 5Twins has posted much about headgasket sealing methods. Understandable, that's a heavily stressed zone.

But, the bore surfaces where seals fit don't see that kind of stress, and would normally be expected to handle dry seal install just fine. *Unless* Now we're back to the 'checkered past' thing. If someone tried to dig out a seal with picks, chisels, roofing nails, claw hammers, prybars, detonator caps, ...etc., THEN you've got a problem. This calls for careful inspection, and prudent solutions on an as-needed basis. Grand Mal slopping of sealer on everything isn't advised...

I do use the sealer trick on seals I drive in from the outside, but I don't think I would on split cases, unless like 2M said, damage to the seal bore called for it.

Thank you gents for the answers, much appreciated. From everything I can tell these cases have never been split and are in good condition. I'll plan to install the three oil seals dry, with maybe a tad dab where they meet the case halves to ensure a good seal in that transition area.

Back