Search for bolt on tail fairing manufacturer to suit '82 XS Heritage Special

OdysseusXS

XS650 padawan
Reaction score
Hello good people,

I haven't been on the site for some time, work is busy and winter (Australian) has set in. It has given me two ideas, 1) PMS really means 'parked motorcycle syndrome' and 2) that although I like the Japanese take on the Harley-fied American dream (82 XS Heritage Special-delivered to Chicago) I am giving serious thought to a no- cut tail conversion to a cafe style/modified flat-tracker style cowl, if such a thing exists. I love the bike, I am resolved to mod this beast without cutting it up and would love to hear from anyone who has had experience in this area. In a perfect world, I would like to make the tail mod a bolt on affair so that with a set of clubman style bars, some indicator stem shortening and a seat redesign, I get a tight looking bike with the option of restoring it to it's original state as well. Am I asking too much? All advice accepted with gratitude.

Cheers ODSXS :thumbsup:

2 thoughts. The Omars tail piece sits flat on the frame panel behind the battery box, After you cut off the rear hoop. If you cut this hoop carefully, you can put stubs into it, and the frame. Small holes could be drilled into the frame and hoop. Thread the holes into the stubs, put the hoop and frame together and you can then bolt it tight. Painted well, it would look like nothing has been done. The other option that comes to mind, is look into a late model Triumph Thruxton rear seat cowl. Can't say it will fit, but might be worth a look. RD

Thanks for that, I thought I read somewhere that Omars shut down? Perhaps something happened since the last time I read something about his business. I like the 'removable' hoop idea, not sure what to do at this point.

At the very least Omars is as hard to get in contact with as Elvis Presley! The reason I mentioned his tailpiece, is I have used it, and most other dirt track tailpieces I have seen need a frame built up to rest on. Good luck.

I would like to make the tail mod a bolt on affair so that with a set of clubman style bars, some indicator stem shortening and a seat redesign, I get a tight looking bike with the option of restoring it to it's original state as well.
Cheers ODSXS :thumbsup:

Hi ODSXS,
yeah, do what you like so long as it can be restored to stock.
My kinda builder!
If I was planning a tin tail + bumstop what I'd look at taking the cast grabrail off, finding a spare seat pan and attaching a tin tail made from the back end of a scrap gas tank.
add some upholstery and she's done.
Whole thing will clip on just like the stock seat.
Perhaps french in the stop/tail and use teardrop rear signals?

Thanks Fredintoon,

I reckon I've got a pretty good specimen (as far as 82 XS Specials go) and I want to preserve it. At the moment I haven't got much free time, so any redesign is a way off yet. Appreciate the suggestions though.

Cheers,

Back