Searching for a key

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is a long shot but I’m searching for a spare key for my ‘76. The key number is 7582. Anyone out there have a key they are willing to sell or a blank that I could have cut. My local dealer hasn’t been so helpful in this search. Thanks!

Are you sure about that number? I ask because the chart I have doesn't go that high .....

rvaxJhS.jpg

Maybe your key and ignition switch is a replacement of some sort, aftermarket maybe? Does that key work all the locks on the bike (fork, gas cap, seat/helmet)? Originally, they were matched and one key fit them all.

On your older model, the lock/key number should also be stamped on the face of the lock .....

oYSe2qY.png

Except for the fork lock. That is stamped on the side of the lock .....

AwYo1kE.png

Might be that the switch was swapped. Key for seat and ignition are different. Might be an aftermarket key then. Thx. Will check local locksmith.

I found my key on ebay by key number on ebait.
Mine has 2 keys and I also found one of them on eBay. Since I don’t see my key number in the chart above it’s most likely aftermarket. I’ll try the locksmith first and if I fail there I may replace the switch. Thx

Later locks switched to a different numbering system, a combination of a letter and 5 numbers .....

3PL6T02.png

edwSjrp.jpg

Also, the lock cylinder used in these Special ignition switches is longer than the one used in the older Standard ignition switches .....

7Jbx4WQ.jpg

In the UK there are companies that offer a cut to code service. Below is a link to one such company in Didcott, UK:
https://www.key2code.co.uk/store/c72/Yamaha_motorcycle_keys_cut_to_code.html#/
You will see the blank for your key on Page 2 in the third row from the bottom. I realise this is not much help to you being in Canada but search for a cut to code service.

Good Luck (said with an Albanian Accent)

Did all OEM Yamaha keys have “Yamaha” stamped on them? The key I’m trying yo replace has no such markings.

Yes, original keys had "Yamaha" stamped on them. See my pics above. Aftermarket keys would most likely only have the manufacturer's name, like "Ilco" or "Taylor".

Thanks for the help everyone. I believe I must have and aftermarket ignition switch in the bike so an OEM replacement will most likely not be possible. Didn’t get a chance to try the locksmith today, maybe tomorrow.

Back