seat cut down

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
have put a saddleman seat on 447 frame but found its riding position to far forward for me with mids (would be ok with forward controls but don't like using them all the time) I find normally take up 3/4 of original seat,any photos of how anyone has cut their seat down and kept original base complete.in qld we get cheaper rego as a solo bike but the seat has to be under certain length so you cant carry a pillion

IMG_0576.jpgI was looking into cutting down seat with original pan yesterday....came across this picture. Don't know who's it is but looks good to me.

thanks but that's still the same length but padding has been lowered.imlookin at shortning the lenghth of the seat padding,maybe turning part of pillion section into a pouch for tools etc.looked at café racer style but not enough width and padding height for me

I'd be interested to hear what others have done as well. I was doodling today on how to shorten the seat length by cutting 2-3 inches out between the top shock mount and hoop on each side.

Just some cuts and welds but new to me. I'd weld the hoop back on after material removal. But I need to think about how to cut the joint - either butt joint, angled joint-cuts, how one or the other would effect the shape of the mating surfaces etc. I may get some conduit from HD and bend it up and make some practice cuts. I'll post back on anything that may be useful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
have put a saddleman seat on 447 frame but found its riding position to far forward for me with mids (would be ok with forward controls but don't like using them all the time) I find normally take up 3/4 of original seat,any photos of how anyone has cut their seat down and kept original base complete.in qld we get cheaper rego as a solo bike but the seat has to be under certain length so you cant carry a pillion

Hi FLEA,
and I thought SGI was staffed by morons (Well, it is, but the QLD guys are really weird, eh)
Is it a significant difference in cost?
And what about folks with big arses who need a full length seat just for themselves?
Or the two skinny bastards who can both sit on a shortie?
You gotta remove the passenger pegs too or can you claim they are alternate rearsets?
However.
I'd carve the seat foam into a suitably short seat pad and have a custom cover made for it; leaving the back end of the seat pan bare and bolting a toolbox on it.

yo fred whats SGI? but as far as costs go roughly 1/2 price a year (approv $230 compared to 460 approx.).seat has a max length, rear foot pegs have to be permently removed and mounting holes removed or permently filled in..its to do with 3rd party insurance...no pillion less chance of accident payout..easy to do a bodgy job but want to do a profectional finish... a few people have shorten by cutting the rear hoop off but want to keep frame original as with all the cutters frames here are getting hard to find.. its incredible haven't got the papers handy but the gov takes for rego $50/60/70 the rest is insurance company money..by the way the insurance is not for the bike or any thing you might hit but for any injuries any one might get except for the driver in the wrong

Last edited:
Hi FLEA,
time was, back in the UK bike insurance was cut 50% if the bike had a sidecar, which made sense at least.
SGI = Saskatchewan Government Insurance.
It's the Provincial Government's vehicle insurance monopoly.
It's governing body is made up of motorcycle-hating imbeciles.

Back