SEAT FOAM??

closed cell neoprene from an foam warehouse (hard to find at a furniture upholstery shop. they use open cell foam). I ended up finding a local manufacturer that sold me a few cut off pieces for $12, enough to make two or three solo seats. It comes in large sheets with different thicknesses and densities. Look for closed cell foam because it does not break down or retain water the same way furniture padding does. layer different thicknesses and densities together with contact spray and shape with sand paper to build the right seat for you.

I think 8-10lb density is a popular choice for the main block. Sit on it and you will know. If it goes marshmallow on you its too soft. Try for something firmer.

I've been getting ideas from sites like this:

www.diymotorcycleseat.com

There are also a few YouTube vids that have good info on different types of foams, and where best to use them. Sorry I don't have any links, but it wasn't hard to search for as I recall.

I took my SV 650 seat down, and cut the foam into a butt shape instead of a brick shape, and added a gel pad. Would do a few things different in the future (buy a big piece of gel and and good cover material). It sits very well. I did not add any foam except a 3/16" thick outer layer of 4# for smoothing it out. You can see it in this pic. No longer a straight topped brick.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_20120415_193404.jpg
    IMG_20120415_193404.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 112
Back