seat lock question

stevey425

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey everyone! when i bought my 77 xs the man had told me he had lost the key for the seat/helmet lock. so up until now ive just been screwing the lock off everytime i needed to get under the seat. Is there anyway i can get that lock rekeyed? or do i just have to find a new lock and key set somewhere?

It's not the same as the ignition?

If not, then you should be able to take it to a locksmith and they can custom cut a key for it. Might cost you a bit though, just be warned.

Stock OEM.... the ignition, gas cap, fork lock and seat lock are all the same key and 4 digit code (3175 eg) of which there weren't too many number sets per model year. The seat lock unit itself comes out easily (2 screws) as I recall and are interchangeable. That code is imprinted on OEM keys, ignition face plate, gas cap lock etc. and keys can be ordered by make, model, year and key code. I've had some pretty good luck scoring model unit sets off ebay or salvagers and working with a good motorcycle oriented lock smith like:

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/keys.html

Hope some of this is useful, it's nice to have a one key does all set-up and to have a least 2 of them...helps resellers/buyers too. Keys & cutting are useually pretty reasonable costwise....rekeying an old lock can get a little pricey. Blue

You can usually re-key them yourself as long as the key you have will insert into the lock. Yamaha used several different key blank styles with different offsets and different width grooves on them. As long as your current ignition key is the same style as the seat lock uses, you can make it work.

so my ignition and gas cap are the same number, but my seat lock is different. so your saying the best way would be to get a blank key and have it cut with the code on the lock?

You can take it off like Blue said. Then take the lock apart and try your key in it. Any tumblers that your key doesn't activate, just take them out. If it makes the lock less secure, well nobody's going to steal your seat. Probably.

Actually, If I remember how it looks inside, after you insert your key, you could file down the tumblers that still protrude and actually fit the lock to your key that way. If I remember how it looks inside....

Last edited:
If you want to spend money then yes, take the lock to a locksmith and he'll make you a key. Many Yamaha dealers can make you one from that code # for $8 to $10. If you want to do it for free, you can as long as your existing key will slide into the seat lock. Like I said earlier, Yamaha used different key styles. Read that link that Blue gave. It explains all about the key blanks. If your existing key will slide into the seat lock, you can re-key it yourself for nothing.

Naaah. I bet it fits.

If not, the blanks look like mirrored pairs. Maybe the front part can be flipped over if its grooves are reversed.

Last edited:
It may very well fit but it may not. I have 2 '78 Yamahas, a 650 and a 500. The ignitions look the same but the keys will not swap. One is offset left, the other right. One has narrow grooves down the side, the other wide ones. One bike's key will not insert into the other bike's ignition switch.

That's entirely possible. But I'm intent on hacking this lock one way or another :)

When I lost my key for the 75, I replaced the switch and took the internals out of the locks on the gas cap and seat lock. Now any key can open the gas cap and seat.

i guess tomorrow ill pull the lock apart to take out the internals because im not trying to spend a ton and i dont really thing someone is trying to steal my seat or helmet. and besides if they want it that bad they will just unscrew the lock like i did haha

You'll need a long slightly curved dental pick or similar tool to remove the lock cylinder from the housing. These locks consist of a bunch of spring loaded sliding plates, the bottom one holds the lock in the housing, the others above it are operated by the key and do the "locking". You need to reach down into the bottom of the lock and slide that lowest plate up (or down, whatever way works) to release the cylinder and pull it out. Once out, you'll see all the plates stick out one side. Insert the correct key and they will all pull down flush so the cylinder can rotate. Insert your "wrong" key and some may pull down flush, some will still stick above, and some may even be pulled too far so that they stick out the other side.

Remove the plates that don't pull down flush. Leave the ones that do and you'll still have a working lock, just not as secure. Swap the other plates around because they may work in other slots. This is so easy to do I can't believe anybody spends $15 to $20 on a new key, lol.

The reason I had mine apart was because somebody didn't realize wd40 turns to glue after a few months.

Caution, pull it out slowly and block the tumblers as it comes out to avoid a parts everywhere situation. If you pull it out with the correct key in it, it will all come out together, but you can't

I still don't understand how Steve was taking the lock assembly off to open the seat. Mine screws in from the top and the seat covers those screws when closed.

I still don't understand how Steve was taking the lock assembly off to open the seat. Mine screws in from the top and the seat covers those screws when closed.

:agree: So Steve, I think it's your turn.....How do YOU open that latch to get at the inoperable lock when the seat's closed? Blue

well when my seat is locked down there is about a half inch gap above where the two screws hold it in, so that gap was big enough for me to use my screwdriver thats on a 90 degree angle. thankfully the scews werent tight so it wasnt hard.

Call local yamaha shops. You have the key code any good shop will have a key code book and punch they usually have key blanks. They can make it right there locksmith will work to but they usually charge more.

Back