1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

secret code of fasteners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greyandridin, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I know Jim explained it and probably others but how do you decipher the fastener size/length etc by the OEM parts #
    As in Pan head screw 97885-05010-00
    I need to write this down in my manual so I don't buy OEM parts when simple hardware fittings will work
    Thanks Mike

Machine and Jim like this.
  2. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. :smoke:

Fastener dia and length.png

Team Junk, MaxPete, fixthe and 6 others like this.
  3. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

20210407_174533.jpg
    Picture is worth a thousand words :)
    Get a metric scale, the hardware store sells metric hardware sized in metric values.

MaxPete, grizld1 and gggGary like this.
  4. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

This one goes in the book
    Thanks Guys !!

5. Greyandridin

Also saved to my picture files

6. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

As you've probably discovered, you won't find the size for every fastener in the part number like this. It seems only to apply to regular or normal screws and bolts. So, if you do find it listed, you can be reasonably confident that just a hardware store substitute will work fine.

MaxPete, gggGary and Greyandridin like this.
  7. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Guru Top Contributor

For M5, M6 and M8, that is correct and straight forward. However, the Japanese like to use M10x1.25 and M12x1.25 on bikes and cars. Regular hardware store items are most often M10x1.50 and M12x1.75, i.e standard coarse metric thread. This is something to watch out for.

8. Greyandridin

I'll have to always bring 1 in to compare

Jim and jetmechmarty like this.
  9. Jan_P

Jan_P XS650 Junkie

Sweden
    Here it is difficult to buy one only at a reasonably price you end up buying a package and still overpay
    One of those can in the long run save gas money
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_pitch_gauge

Threaded rod can be a solution cutting off what one needs ( But can be of poor strength )

And there exists bolts of different strength classes .. Usually a Hardware store don't have to poor bolts below 8:8
    And I cant recall places on XS 650 but replacing a black Allen Bolt in fex a Brake system with a hex from the shelf on a Supermarket
    Can be of different strength Cant recall on XS 650 but on Excavators there was use of the same size bolts but different strength.​
    But I do this myself ..It was a long time since I last bought a Bolt from a Yamaha Dealer ..

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim and Greyandridin like this.
  10. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Lately, the hardware stores are getting slack on keeping stock and/or always a limited supply of metric hardware. So, I order it online. Sometimes, I actually order the correct stuff.

Team Junk, Greyandridin and Jim like this.
  11. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I order mine from Bolt Depot. Good quality, good price and fast shipping.

12. Machine

Sorry to hear that. Fortunately I still find all the hardware I need and enjoy foraging through all the grommets, etc too. Even the exotic soda pop aisle lol..
    I have 3 hardware stores to choose from.
    Can't even imagine buying bolts on line.

Greyandridin and jetmechmarty like this.
  13. jetmechmarty

The last order I screwed up was from them. I'll go back to them again for sure. McMaster Carr is great as well. Bags of bolts show up tomorrow. Not so good if you can't tolerate the whole bag.

Greyandridin and Jim like this.
  14. jetmechmarty

Where I moved from, I had much better access to hardware. Where I moved to, I have little access to anything, except peace and quiet. Where I was had the best of motorcycle roads. Where I am, has no traffic. There's always a trade-off. I can order hardware online, or kill an hour or more on a wasted trip to the hardware store.

15. Machine

See, I live in a more convenient location to shop. That and I'm always out running around anyway..
    After work is convenient.
    I'd trade for very remote, with nice open roads however.. :cool:

16. jetmechmarty

My poor wife. She likes the city. I like the country. It appears I won. I surely miss North Georgia, but there is good riding here and there really is NO TRAFFIC.

Team Junk, Greyandridin and Machine like this.
  17. Jim

:lmao::lmao:

18. Machine

:shrug:my way outa the city plans have changed..
    she's gone .. more motorcycle time now!

19. jetmechmarty

I want to replace the crown nuts that attach the exhaust to the cylinder head. PN
    95380-10800-00
    I believe they're M10, fine thread. 14 mm wrench fits them. I want them in stainless. I ordered some from Bolt Depot and I got what I ordered, but I didn't get what I wanted. Any ideas?

Greyandridin likes this.