1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

secret code of fasteners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greyandridin, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

looked at Bolt depot website and thinking I could order this
    Metric machine screws, Phillips pan head, Stainless steel 316 (A-4), 5mm x 10mm
    but it states the Thread pitch as 0.8mm
    Do I need thread pitch 1.25 ??

2. arcticXS

arcticXS XS650 Guru Top Contributor

REPLY TO JETMECHMARTY'S POST:
    I want to replace the crown nuts that attach the exhaust to the cylinder head. PN
    95380-10800-00
    I believe they're M10, fine thread. 14 mm wrench fits them. I want them in stainless. I ordered some from Bolt Depot and I got what I ordered, but I didn't get what I wanted. Any ideas?"

They are M10x1.25. Same as the rider footpeg bracket nuts, and shock absorber upper nuts.
    On my XS. I swapped all these 10 chromed (and super HEAVY) dome nuts with 12 point Titanium nuts from Pro-Bolt.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  3. arcticXS

No, M5 normally comes in 0.8 mm pitch.

The 1.25 applies to M8 (which is a standard metric coarse thread), and M10 and M12 x1.25 which both are a common standard on the XS and other japanese vehicles, but not a standard metric coarse.

4. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

The footrest bracket nuts are 17 mm across the flats. I want 14 mm.

These are awesome, but not appropriate for my application.
    [​IMG]

MaxPete likes this.
  5. jetmechmarty

Yes, I am the original owner of a very stock Special. Somebody can cut it up and hardtail it after I go for my dirt nap. Dome nuts it is.

6. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Kinda spendy at 3 bucks apiece..... Amazon has 'em.

Untitled.png

Team Junk, MaxPete and RustiePyles like this.
  7. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

8. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

9. Greyandridin

Greyandridin Got nothing to do and all day to do it XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

looks like I need to order a few for the side cover then
    And bookmark this page ( I must have 40 pages bookmarked already :shrug:)
    It's hard to keep this all squared away when you don't use the knowledge enough)
    Thanks

MaxPete likes this.
  10. jetmechmarty

Those will be 17 AF. 14 AF is what I want. Classic Fastener in Australia has them. I'll see what shipping is.
    Otherwise, Dime City/Mike's XS has the whole set in chrome for about $12. That's probably the easy answer.

MaxPete, arcticXS and Greyandridin like this.
  11. Greyandridin

12. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

The chrome is shit on those sets and doesn't last long before it rusts.

jetmechmarty likes this.
  13. jetmechmarty

:shootme: $80 for a slow boat to bring four correct stainless nuts from Oz.

arcticXS likes this.
  14. arcticXS

M5x 0.80 pitch is only used on the outer alternator cover. All the other engine cover bolts are M6x1.00 pitch, in varying lengths.

TwoManyXS1Bs and Jim like this.
  15. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Saddest Jap hardware story here...
    "Cycle Heap" a salvage yard in Portland has changed their sales policy.
    No In Person business any more. Only online through Ebay.
    I've bought many many chrome and assorted hardware items that I plucked out of their 5 gallon buckets of bolts etc.. asked why they don't sell ? They do, for SCRAP STEEL value. Buckets full..
    Now, there is still only one cycle salvage yard a guy can pick through, and I will.
    -Check Your Local Salvage yards!!

TwoManyXS1Bs and MaxPete like this.
  16. RustiePyles

RustiePyles Semper Fortis XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

The acorn nuts on an XS are not technically J.I.S. Reduced Diameter J.I.S. are almost always flange nuts. Almost all the acorn nuts on an XS fall into the category (specialty metric) or proprietary dimension.

https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/system-of-measurement~metric/thread-size~m10/thread-pitch~1-25-mm/

These are 10X1.25 JIS, I bought a couple of boxes of these for my chopper they look pretty cool.
    AD7463CC-9EFC-4C93-B18A-F12B9D3DAFA1.jpeg

17. arcticXS

That's very impressive. Keeping a bike totally stock for around 40 years! I am absolutely no fan of cutting up and hardtailing, etc. But I am an incurable tinkerer, always pondering on "improvements" to the RD and the XS. Brakes, suspension, more power, less weight, it goes on and on. But I keep the changes reversible, and keep the stock parts for any future change of attitude. Be it me or the next owner.

TwoManyXS1Bs, MaxPete, Jim and 3 others like this.
  18. jetmechmarty

I have a couple that were pretty rough. I have no intention in returning to stock. Once I get on them, I hope to make them as I visualize they should be. To me, I like what motorcycles looked like in my youth. 60's & 70's.