secret code of fasteners

looked at Bolt depot website and thinking I could order this
Metric machine screws, Phillips pan head, Stainless steel 316 (A-4), 5mm x 10mm
but it states the Thread pitch as 0.8mm
Do I need thread pitch 1.25 ??

REPLY TO JETMECHMARTY'S POST:
I want to replace the crown nuts that attach the exhaust to the cylinder head. PN
95380-10800-00
I believe they're M10, fine thread. 14 mm wrench fits them. I want them in stainless. I ordered some from Bolt Depot and I got what I ordered, but I didn't get what I wanted. Any ideas?"

They are M10x1.25. Same as the rider footpeg bracket nuts, and shock absorber upper nuts.
On my XS. I swapped all these 10 chromed (and super HEAVY) dome nuts with 12 point Titanium nuts from Pro-Bolt.

Last edited:
looked at Bolt depot website and thinking I could order this
Metric machine screws, Phillips pan head, Stainless steel 316 (A-4), 5mm x 10mm
but it states the Thread pitch as 0.8mm
Do I need thread pitch 1.25 ??

No, M5 normally comes in 0.8 mm pitch.

The 1.25 applies to M8 (which is a standard metric coarse thread), and M10 and M12 x1.25 which both are a common standard on the XS and other japanese vehicles, but not a standard metric coarse.

REPLY TO JETMECHMARTY'S POST:
I want to replace the crown nuts that attach the exhaust to the cylinder head. PN
95380-10800-00
I believe they're M10, fine thread. 14 mm wrench fits them. I want them in stainless. I ordered some from Bolt Depot and I got what I ordered, but I didn't get what I wanted. Any ideas?"

They are M10x1.25. Same as the rider footpeg bracket nuts, and shock absorber upper nuts.
On my XS. I swapped all these 10 chromed (and super HEAVY) dome nuts with 12 point Titanium nuts from Pro-Bolt.
The footrest bracket nuts are 17 mm across the flats. I want 14 mm.

These are awesome, but not appropriate for my application.
TI6SPN10BH__96960.1592826669.jpg

No, M5 normally comes in 0.8 mm pitch.

The 1.25 applies to M8 (which is a standard metric coarse thread), and M10 and M12 x1.25 which both are a common standard on the XS and other japanese vehicles, but not a standard metric coarse.
looks like I need to order a few for the side cover then
And bookmark this page ( I must have 40 pages bookmarked already :shrug:)
It's hard to keep this all squared away when you don't use the knowledge enough)
Thanks

Sorry picked the wrong ones. Here's the 1.25mm pitch ones.
Those will be 17 AF. 14 AF is what I want. Classic Fastener in Australia has them. I'll see what shipping is.
Otherwise, Dime City/Mike's XS has the whole set in chrome for about $12. That's probably the easy answer.

looks like I need to order a few for the side cover then
And bookmark this page ( I must have 40 pages bookmarked already :shrug:)
It's hard to keep this all squared away when you don't use the knowledge enough)
Thanks
M5x 0.80 pitch is only used on the outer alternator cover. All the other engine cover bolts are M6x1.00 pitch, in varying lengths.

Saddest Jap hardware story here...
"Cycle Heap" a salvage yard in Portland has changed their sales policy.
No In Person business any more. Only online through Ebay.
I've bought many many chrome and assorted hardware items that I plucked out of their 5 gallon buckets of bolts etc.. asked why they don't sell ? They do, for SCRAP STEEL value. Buckets full..
Now, there is still only one cycle salvage yard a guy can pick through, and I will.
-Check Your Local Salvage yards!!

It will be difficult to find matching acorns in stainless because I think the originals are J.I.S.
The acorn nuts on an XS are not technically J.I.S. Reduced Diameter J.I.S. are almost always flange nuts. Almost all the acorn nuts on an XS fall into the category (specialty metric) or proprietary dimension.

https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/system-of-measurement~metric/thread-size~m10/thread-pitch~1-25-mm/

These are 10X1.25 JIS, I bought a couple of boxes of these for my chopper they look pretty cool.
AD7463CC-9EFC-4C93-B18A-F12B9D3DAFA1.jpeg

Yes, I am the original owner of a very stock Special. Somebody can cut it up and hardtail it after I go for my dirt nap. Dome nuts it is.
That's very impressive. Keeping a bike totally stock for around 40 years! I am absolutely no fan of cutting up and hardtailing, etc. But I am an incurable tinkerer, always pondering on "improvements" to the RD and the XS. Brakes, suspension, more power, less weight, it goes on and on. But I keep the changes reversible, and keep the stock parts for any future change of attitude. Be it me or the next owner.

But I keep the changes reversible, and keep the stock parts for any future change of attitude. Be it me or the next owner.
I have a couple that were pretty rough. I have no intention in returning to stock. Once I get on them, I hope to make them as I visualize they should be. To me, I like what motorcycles looked like in my youth. 60's & 70's.

Back