Serendipity

RockingThePartyDJ

XS650 Obsessed
Reaction score
So I just get done setting up my DJ equipment and Photobooth for a Wedding I was doing this last Saturday night and I only have about one and a half hours until I start my show. I just jumped in my SUV and start driving from the Banquet hall toward home when on my way home to clean up and put my suit on for the show, i happen to see a truck in the lane next to me with 2 motorcycles in the bed and one is an XS650 so i pull up beside and motion to him to roll down his window as we're in traffic and i tell him i'm into xs650's and he asks if i want to buy it? I'm kinda taken by surprise as I didn't expect to hear that. I was hoping to meet another enthusiast. So I asked him does it have a title and how much? he says yes I have the title make me an offer! I say to him I dunno, how much do you want? He puts out 2 fingers, so I tell him to pull into the BP station a few blocks up (I need to get some cash from their ATM) and that I have a storage unit about 6 blocks from there. We get to the BP and I check out the bike quick it turns over with some compression but has sat since 2004 and has 17K on it (last time it was registered) and I looked over the Title. He tells me he got it from a friend when he was picking up the RD200 Electric that his wife wanted him to buy and his buddy says its a deal as long as you take this too (The 79 XS650), so he took it but didnt really want it, then tells me he was having a problem with his truck just before he got to town and the money will help fix the truck I say to him, who knew when you took the XS650 it was a serendipitous event for both of us, that you would be able to sell it right away when you need some cash and I would get a great deal. He said your right with a smile. So I get the cash and we go to my storage unit and we unload it and I give him his money and he gives me the title and the Key. This all took a whole 20 mins so we put it in my storage and said our thank you's and I booked home cleaned up and dressed for my show and had a whole 10 mins to spare LOL but here she is in her before state, I'm gonna chop it and hardtail it for this years build off @ Pandemonium in Defiance I know I only have a little over 3 months but lets see what I can do with her in that time.

20150510_125504_zpsgl772yxd.jpg

20150510_125522_zpsosx2lz7f.jpg

I really wish you hadn't stumbled upon this. The '79 Standard is one of the rarest models out there. It deserves better than the sawzall treatment. That's what Yamaha made Specials for, lol.

I really wish you hadn't stumbled upon this. The '79 Standard is one of the rarest models out there. It deserves better than the sawzall treatment. That's what Yamaha made Specials for, lol.

Hi 5twins,
while I'm pleased about Rockin's serendipituous bargain, (Why not me, eh? I gotta trailer even if I don't have a truck!)
Yeah, rather than butchering the poor neglected thing he should pass it on to someone who'd nurture it back to health.
There's gotta be someone on the list with a derelict Special and a reasonable sum of money to swap for a Standard if Rockin can't deny his Sawzall lust and restore the bike himself.

Congrats on the find! I can't comment on the rarity of this particular model, but that's a pretty amazing story. I'm restoring an '80 special, but now it sounds like I should have chopped it up. :laugh:

Well if its that rare lets start the serious offers and I won't chop it, trade me a running special with clean title plus $200 and pay my gas to meet you and i'll consider it, I say $200 more if its mags on the special, if spokes straight up trade may be considered plus gas. Lets talk.

So based on the comments I decided to post a trade thread in the classifieds. If interested act quick thanks. Actually I have sold all standards that were complete and restoreable that I have picked up over the years to members who wanted to restore them. I didn't think a 79 was worth restoring..........

Back