Setting points

twindallas

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My bike was not running right so I went through the trouble shooting guide and checked the timing chain, lubed advance weights, adjusted valves, new battery with a full charge, new plugs, cleaned carbs and checked float heights, then went to set point gaps. Couldn't seem to get them right, and now I get this terrible kick back when I try to kick it. It's a 72/73 engine, kick only, so I need some advice on how to prevent this kicking back. Any advice will be helpful, thanks!

...then went to set point gaps. Couldn't seem to get them right, and now I get this terrible kick back when I try to kick it...

That kickback is usually a sign of the ignition being too advanced.
Do you know how to set static timing with a test light?
Do you have and know how to set timing with a strobe-type ignition-triggered timing light?

The repair manual has a step by step procedure on setting the points gap and timing.
I would recommend starting with that.
Most feeler gauges have a protective coat of oil on them. This oil gets on the points. You need to clean the points after you set them. At a place that sells computers and accessories, pic up a package of business card stock. Cut some into 1/4 wide strips.
Dampen these strips with electrical contact cleaner, Not so much as to wet the paper. just damp. Now with a finger tip open the points, slip in a strip of paper, let the points close on the paper, pull out. Repeat as needed to get the points clean. Clean is when the paper comes out with no color on it.
Leo

Or you could use starter fluid to strip the oil off the feeler gauge in the first place.

Points gaps and timing are related. Change the points gap and you change the timing. It seems this is what you've done. Any time you change the points gap you usually need to re-set the timing as well.

^What he said, but If it runs at all I don't think the timing should be so far off as to cause quite that much trouble. You've done several things to it, maybe start from scratch.

The timing doesn't need to be too far off to start causing kick back. It's also possible one cylinder is much further off and causing the problem. The other cylinder being close to right is allowing it to start and run.

If you make the decision to use and live with points, you really need a timing light and I think a dwell meter too. A dwell meter is the most accurate way to set the points gap and the ONLY way to accurately set used points.

Attachments

• 650_svc_e2 inspection and adjustment.pdf
    337.1 KB · Views: 381
  • XS650 Points Plate.jpg
    XS650 Points Plate.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1,667
  • German650Translated_175-180.pdf
    188.3 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
weekendrider, Some folks don't realize the feeler gauge has oil on it till after they do the points and things don't work. So, instructions on a good way to clean points.
Leo

I did purchase a new set of feeler gauges, and they were pretty oily. After setting the points, I never thought about the oily gauge, I just started kicking it, and that's when it started kicking back. I'll get out there and clean the contacts off and see what happens. It's kicking back so bad right now that I haven't been able to start it back up, so hopefully this will change that. Thanks to all!

Back