Setting the timing using a light

It usually doesn't matter on a 650 but with a Pamco, sometimes one lead works better than the other. With your single coil, the current flows down one plug wire, through the engine to the other plug, and back up that plug wire to the coil. Some timing lights like the current flow in a certain direction or they may flash erratically. If that happens, just use the other plug wire. The current will be flowing the opposite way in that one and it should make your light happy.

Yes, with the Pamco and the single coil. If you still had points, you would need to check each cylinder (and the timing on that points set) individually. You would need to hook the light to each plug wire to check timing on each cylinder. It could differ because the two sets of points could be set and timed individually. That's what made the dual points such a pain. It was two separate little ignition systems. Not only did you need to gap the points and set the timing on each, you had to match those settings between the two cylinders.

Put the timing light on and at idle, it seems to be right on the fire mark on my PMA. When i rev it it goes right to the full advance mark but not past it. Is this O.K?
I retarded my pamco plate a bit from my previous rides and the bike seems to have a lumpier idle. I will do some idle screw adjustments after a ride. This should cure my lean plugs.

hey guys -

i have a 79 - its running amazing, BUT it kind of kicks back every once in a while. reading here it seems to be the timing is too advanced.

my bike has the pamco also -

some of the links included in this thread are dead.

did the timing last fall and it seemed to be dialed, BUT the white line was kind of faint.

should i repaint it? or add some paint?

In Winter time with the choke fully on you may get a strong kickback using the kick starter. Try using less choke, but if the temperature is close to 0 Celsius you may need full choke. Above say 15 Celsius you may not need to use the choke at all, or only half on.

I am thinking, Is this just a Winter issue you are having?

Last edited:
Yeah I keep a bottle of white out at the bench just for doing that.
Points ignition are more prone to misfires than electronic ignition. Really clean points make surethey are not sloppy on the pivots correct gaps timing checked both sides.
Also several carb issues can cause a misfire. Blowing the carbs off the spigots happens.
In general unless the bike is a restoration I'll usually change any points bike that gets ridden a lot to electronic iggy. Never regretted doing that.
Check timing both idle and advanced at 3000 RPM, look for smooth advance and back as you rev, release the the throttle.

In Winter time with the choke fully on you may get a strong kickback using the kick starter. Try using less choke, but if the temperature is close to 0 Celsius you may need full choke. Above say 15 Celsius you may not need to use the choke at all, or only half on.

I am thinking, Is this just a Winter issue you are having?

it is year round. (i'm in LA so the weather isn't very dynamic)

Yeah I keep a bottle of white out at the bench just for doing that.
Points ignition are more prone to misfires than electronic ignition. Really clean points make surethey are not sloppy on the pivots correct gaps timing checked both sides.
Also several carb issues can cause a misfire. Blowing the carbs off the spigots happens.
In general unless the bike is a restoration I'll usually change any points bike that gets ridden a lot to electronic iggy. Never regretted doing that.
Check timing both idle and advanced at 3000 RPM, look for smooth advance and back as you rev, release the the throttle.

bike has the pamco ignition. very smooth advance going in both directions.

the kick back generally happens when the engine has been running and then after a break.

so if i go for a leisurely ride, then stop for a cup of coffee .... when i go to kick it- it kicks back when im pushing the kickstarter down to the proper position to kick.

i only kick it with it on its center stand and with me on the right of the bike (so it can't do too much damage!)

Back