Setting the Timing with a Pamco

Captmilk

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm getting my High output Pamco Kit on Monday and the only thing i'm not sure how to do is to set the timing. If anyone has beginner instructions or detailed pictures that would rock. Thanks in advance.

Capt...

In your kit, you'll get some installation instructions that, if I recall correctly, also cover timing the bike at least to the point where it will start, so that you can set the timing with a light. I seem to recall a photo, either in the instructions or on Pete's website, as to the (rotational) placement of the assembly's backing plate so that the bike will start. Once you do that, you'll have to use a white Sharpie or the like to mark your timing marks on your rotor and stator, and use a light. You remind me that I should actually re-check mine, as I went on a wing and a prayer doing it initially.

TC

You set the timing the same way as with points, by rotating the backing plate. As TC said, the included instructions will give a recommended spot to install the plate so the timing will be close enough for the bike to start. Then you use a timing light to set the timing exactly. Check and possibly tweak the timing setting after a few hundred miles. Sometimes they need a minor readjustment after the new parts settle in.

TC, check yours and maybe your carb problems will diminish. These bikes like their timing set right on. Being off just slightly can cause all sorts of minor running issues (backfiring, stalling, black plugs, etc.).

twins, I think it'd be worth checking it again (and this thread/your input may benefit Capt as well). It's been a year or so since I installed my PAMCO and timed the bike, and I used an inductive light. I recall having a little bit of "flutter" (not exactly a "mirror" image") on the marks, and I think that back then I might not have known to try it on both plug wires; I think I timed off the left one. I also had not done my valves yet at that time, and the bike might not have been really op temp yet. I also still had two carbs then. Time for revisiting some things this season, I guess.

Capt, keep us posted.

TC

Yeah I was reading several postings about timing lights acting weird and if they do switch wires

I have never timed before. My brother is a mechanic (and busy all the time) and is letting me use his light. I watched the marboroman Pamco install video. I also read all the corrections made by Pete in the thread, so that part seems very clear

Last edited:
Back