She should of hid the van keys

xs650_2.jpg

That looks oddly familiar...:thumbsdown: :umm:

Other plug looked fine,
RH
2019-08-10 12.36.14.jpg

Cleaned it and ran 30 miles, was wet when I pulled it to put in a new plug..
Not positive it it's oil or gas.
Couple of "maybe's:
Allison had started, idled it for a bit, just before I pulled the plug.
It's EFI but also has a CHOKE lever, it works on the RH throttle body only. At full choke it also works a fast idle cam that opens BOTH sides. PO said his wife had been having trouble with stalling at lights with clutch in/first gear. Maybe she was leaving choke on? Compression test next. could be an intake valve seal. looked in the hole with borescope when I saw the plug, some "wet" carbon on piston crown, piston was near top, so will redo and look at the bore and valves, later.
2019-08-10 12.41.38.jpg

LH muff Nevada.jpg

Discoloured....lean?

I don’t know much about those bikes - is it liquid cooled - perhaps....radiator or thermostat problem?

PS I synched the TB's, they were very close before I started.
Also removed, reinstalled plug wire caps. It idles, runs very well at all RPM to redline. It's advertised as 49 HP and feels like it's producing that.
PO was a helicopter mechanic, he adjusted air bypass on TBs to achieve a slightly higher idle, need to delve in to that. Bike has a OBD2 port in a "euro" configuration, will need to get a dongle and software, groan.
Thanks for the research Mailman. Per your subtle suggestion will continue reporting in this thread. :cool:

Last edited:
Well the bad news; it has a bad head gasket. new plug wet with oil after a 2 minute run 80PSI compression, other side 180PSI.
The good news is the head is sticking out where god and even a lowly wrench twister like me has easy access. Since it's air cooled, cam in block it should be no more than a 3 hour job even the first time . The Moto Guzzi Distributor is only 80 miles away, parts are cheap AND in stock, $38.00 2 valve cover and 1 head gasket with tax and shipping..
Common issue for this bike.

Last edited:
Bike has a OBD2 port in a "euro" configuration, will need to get a dongle and software, groan.
I've used Torque ever since it started. I don't think you'll find an app that's as easy to use.... or as complex as you want to make.

bafx_torque_opener.jpg

I've used Torque ever since it started. I don't think you'll find an app that's as easy to use.... or as complex as you want to make.

View attachment 147302

Wow! I’ve just had a 10 minute education! I followed that link and started reading, then I did some internet searches. I’m such a dinosaur I didn’t even realize such things existed outside of automotive garages and emission testing stations. And to think you can just slip all of that into your pocket, simply amazing!

Well the bad news; it has a bad head gasket. new plug wet with oil after a 2 minute run 80PSI compression, other side 180PSI.
The good news is the head is sticking out where god and even a lowly wrench twister like me has easy access. Since it's air cooled, cam in block it should be no more than a 3 hour job even the first time . The Moto Guzzi Distributor is only 80 miles away, parts are cheap AND in stock, $38.00 2 valve cover and 1 head gasket with tax and shipping..
Common issue for this bike.

Sorry to hear your problems are worse than hoped. Happy to hear that ( for a man with your abilities ) the fix is a relatively easy one. It is nice to have parts out where you can easily access them. The valves are simple screw adjustments also.
BMW’s are even easier to work on, everything is just hanging out in the wind. By the way, o know you are on the hunt for a new ( old ) touring bike, have you ever owned a BMW? That just what they were made for! And boy are they durable!

View attachment 147302
have that, blue tooth dongles and Ford and Toyota specific software. Euro bike ports are more differenter. 'nother 'dapter needed.

And to think you can just slip all of that into your pocket, simply amazing!
When I was teaching, my students borrowed it all the time.... prolly hundreds of tests and sensors replaced. I don't recall it ever being wrong on fault analysis. It's been well worth the 30 bucks I invested.

Sorry to hear your problems are worse than hoped. Happy to hear that ( for a man with your abilities ) the fix is a relatively easy one. It is nice to have parts out where you can easily access them. The valves are simple screw adjustments also.
BMW’s are even easier to work on, everything is just hanging out in the wind. By the way, o know you are on the hunt for a new ( old ) touring bike, have you ever owned a BMW? That just what they were made for! And boy are they durable!
KInda, racked up some miles on a K1200 All the bimmers suffer from feet must be behind motor disease.

View attachment 147302
Just what I was looking for, someone who has actually used this app. Would you recommend the basic version?
I want to use it on my car along with a vgate diagnostic plugin. Thanks.

Just what I was looking for, someone who has actually used this app. Would you recommend the basic version?
I want to use it on my car along with a vgate diagnostic plugin. Thanks.
Don't know about the basic version. Torque Pro is all I've used... at 5 bucks it's a steal. :)
I'm also using the Vgate adapter. Highly recommend both.

Topic shmopic :rock:
Have used both basic and Pro Torque
and a couple Chinese adaptors
The torque is good The car manufacturers software is deeper and can be more specific on some problems. Specific software can be pricey, pay per day when issues show up or you play pirate with no support or guarantees.
I think the score on adaptors has been 3 out of 4 were fine one didn't work out of the box.
Bluetooth or Wifi and android on my phone is what I'm using now.

So 80 lbs 180 other side plug wet with oil.
Surgery; not what I expected to find. No obvious gasket failure, head machining a bit suspect, bore, piston, and rings all look good. Intake valve sealed carb cleaner in intake, exhaust valve leaked like a sieve.
6310.jpeg
20190811_153124.jpg 20190811_153134.jpg
20190811_181443.jpg 20190811_181342.jpg
intake 20190811_182718.jpg exhaust 20190811_182033.jpg
20190811_183209.jpg

Comments welcome.
6700 miles I'm 3rd owner previous 3,000 miles was woman rider

Back