She should of hid the van keys

Warped/bent exhaust valve?

20190811_183209.jpg

How does the exhaust guide feel? Is the valve stem seal shot? The stuttering on the exhaust seat means something, just can't remember where I saw it before and what the problem was. Gaps on oil control rings?

Thnx. will get that valve in a collet and spin it tomorrow.
Will change seals for sure, nothing obvious on loose valve or bad seal.
Haven't checked ring gaps.

Last edited:
That’s a crazy looking piston / head design. That dished piston instead of the usual domed one, and a flat head? I read an article a couple years ago about a guy trying to up the performance on one of these ( Huron ? ) motors, he milled the heads to up the compression. In the end he expended a lot of effort and didn’t add much to the performance.

So what do you figure was the chain of events? Carbon build up in the exhaust valve seat, then loss of compression , leading to all that built up gunk? Then unburned fuel passing to the catalytic converters turned the muffler blue?

All the oil is what's buggin' me. Figure that's what was on the plug.
2019-08-10 12.36.14.jpg

Yeah interesting design. I suspect cheap to build, a major consideration. 750cc making 50 HP, valves are pretty small, but not much room on a flat head.
Speaking of flat the machining not the finest I've seen, might be enough of a wave from the milling to pass oil but was no evidence the head gasket was compromised. It has a Crankcase vent goes to the intake mebbie an oil overfill was sending oil into the cylinders fast enough that it carboned up the exhaust seat and lowered compression? lots of oil being burned in the cat caused the bluing? specially once the exhaust valve was leaking? Note the carbon build up "ridge" on the piston and heavy smear on head. Would only take one chunk of that on valve seat to "cascade" I checked oil soon after I got it here level was normal. PO had changed oil and filter in 2017 prolly less than 1,000 miles ago. Haven't stuck the borescope in good side to see if it has a lot of carbon build up. (tomorrow.) The other cat was running pretty hot also.
The thing is I capped the ports and let the crank vents hang open for ride yesterday. Still a lot of oil on that plug.

And tank back off, did the synch, they weren't far off...
View attachment 145372
All four idle mix screws were bottomed! set them all to 2.5 turns out. Did the washer mod didn't need to pull the carbs to do this. Put on 20 miles mid range seems better after the mod poured in some Techron, rode some more. It really spins the clutch loose at about 6500-7000 RPM. After a few miles the idle climbed to about 2200 RPM, reset to about 1200 now. Can hear some valves a bit, not bad but will need to do a valve adjust. It is geared low not much out there for non stock sprockets the rear 45 would be nice down to a 42. Chain is o-ring but it looked pretty dry, rusty. used grease and chain lube on it but it was loose again after 20 miles. Bought some DID #50 but will open cover and see what the front sprocket looks like before I decide to install it. Riding position isn''t so bad, not that different than riding a stock 650 special.
was pretty clean not rusty!
View attachment 145371

Who knows what this means?
View attachment 145370
Pulled about 20 or 30 pieces like that out of crannies and crevices.
tarp

Shoei but not that old prolly going on 10 though.
So with JRP1 'round the radian project was cooling it's heels. But got back at yesterday and today.
New clutch cable installed. Both slipping clutch and hard to find neutral "cured" :thumbsup:.
Set the valves, shim over bucket, will need to order a couple shims to finish the job, about half were fine, the others needed one size thicker shim. Not a bad job on this motor. Thanks to Mr. Bultaco for some shims and the Yamaha tool! Still need to set the cam chain.
New spark plugs, it had one range too hot plugs in it. Compression cold 158. 151, 147, 155, good for a cold engine with not many recent miles.
That darned mailman, he jinxed the carbs. So off they came, and they got the full monte yesterday.
Lots of fine sediment in all the float bowls,
View attachment 146443
One carb was not bolted to the rack, one float valve was missing it's rubber tip.
Hint the Radians use an o-ring to seal the float valve body to the carb body just like BS34s but they must have changed the rubber formula. All 4 were glued into place, this was a case on a Radian I had a few years ago also. So I made a float valve body gripper and twisted firmly til the body released. Turns out I literally shredded the o-rings to get them loose!
View attachment 146442
Also shows why you just have to remove them, the screens above the valve were loaded. Rest of the carbs really were pretty decent, no badly plugged jets or orifices. Kind of snug getting them in and out but got 'em all in place, buttoned up, put on a temp fuel tank and dag nab it they started leaking! Tried fuel on and off three times, no joy, started to unhook to remove and wait a minute! I had installed an aftermarket inline clear square fuel filter and it was split at a seam, leaking gas, that was it! the filter was bad, my carbs were fine, Woo Hoo. Drained fuel tank, dried, shook a chain in it and blew out the dust. Got a petcock rebuild kit, a few parts from it fit (grr) and worked but was able to get it together and working as it should, automatic fuel again.;) Added a quarter turn valve to the fuel line "just in case"
View attachment 146444
These little Briggs and Stratton valves aren't cheap, about $7.50 at Farm and Fleet but they WORK! I have one on my test tank, a couple years now. Tried a couple cheap Chinese quarter turn valves, made of metal but they were all junk, quickly started leaking big time.

Bike started, ran, idled great.
Moving on, pulled the front wheel, replaced tire with new Shinko, balanced, and installed. These use a 16" front and rear, the front 110/90/16 is a pretty rare size. Front pads were about to metal on one side, so pulled, cleaned the calipers and replaced the pads. Since I had the pistons fully retracted I sucked all the brake fluid out of the reservoir and refilled, pulled brake lever off and cleaned, greased the pivot. Pads pumped out to the rotors easily, full hard lever. Prolly do a full brake strip next winter. Just got back from a test ride, all is good. Low RPM power much improved. Very smooth and loves to rev, not that Allison will do that! Still need to do chain and front sprocket, rear tire. But that can wait a few days, Allison can ride it to work.
At least i changed the clutch cable. ha ha.

All the oil is what's buggin' me. Figure that's what was on the plug.
View attachment 147321
Yeah interesting design. I suspect cheap to build, a major consideration. 750cc making 50 HP, valves are pretty small, but not much room on a flat head.
Speaking of flat the machining not the finest I've seen, might be enough of a wave from the milling to pass oil but was no evidence the head gasket was compromised. It has a Crankcase vent goes to the intake mebbie an oil overfill was sending oil into the cylinders fast enough that it carboned up the exhaust seat and lowered compression? lots of oil being burned in the cat caused the bluing? specially once the exhaust valve was leaking? Note the carbon build up "ridge" on the piston and heavy smear on head. Would only take one chunk of that on valve seat to "cascade" I checked oil soon after I got it here level was normal. PO had changed oil and filter in 2017 prolly less than 1,000 miles ago. Haven't stuck the borescope in good side to see if it has a lot of carbon build up. (tomorrow.) The other cat was running pretty hot also.
The thing is I capped the ports and let the crank vents hang open for ride yesterday. Still a lot of oil on that plug.
tive; however, some are an
So 80 lbs 180 other side plug wet with oil.
Surgery; not what I expected to find. No obvious gasket failure, head machining a bit suspect, bore, piston, and rings all look good. Intake valve sealed carb cleaner in intake, exhaust valve leaked like a sieve.
View attachment 147316
View attachment 147310 View attachment 147311
View attachment 147312 View attachment 147313
intake View attachment 147314 exhaust View attachment 147317
View attachment 147315

Comments welcome.
6700 miles I'm 3rd owner previous 3,000 miles was woman rider
hard to tell from pics but that cylinder looks awfully shiny. Rings may not be sealing perfectly. I suggest honing with stones and a good wash then new rings. Obviously a ton of oil flowing through there. It may have coked on the exhaust valve. Definitely need a valve job. You can probably clean up the seats with a cutter. If the valves run straight in lathe can clean cut but they are almost certainly hard faced so better to replace them in my opinion.

Gary - I looked down into the heads with the valves out (see Jim's marked-up photos in Post #101 above) - do I see damaged valve guides?

The ends of the guides that are visible deep down in the intake and exhaust ports look sort of dinged-up to me...

I certainly agree about new rings, hone and new valves. Whatever has been going on in there has sure made an awful mess out of that spark plug. I don't think I have ever seen a Japanese engine in such dire shape with such low miles on it. Its almost like someone put diesel fuel in it by mistake....

....hmmmmm. :umm:

Pete

Last edited:
Mr. engine shop is going to give it a spit and polish; quick look valves, guides are good. Guess you can kinda tell a valve is straight when it makes a nice thwick sound when you slap it closed.
Wasn't pay'n attention, it's a "nikasil" coated cylinder. That's a bottomless pit of searching https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topi...obs-the-big-question-nikasil-and-iron-sleeve/ So might NOT hone...
Omission; I had retorqed head studs to spec, they all needed it. Probably shoulda just run it another 100 miles, see what happened.
Will retorque other side in a bit.

Last edited:
Mr. Machine shop called today; come pick up the parts.
He didn't come right out and say it but I think the factory exhaust seat was not "real concentric" with guide.
So seat recut, valves lapped. Bore, checked, round, light ball hone. Rings, valve seals, gaskets, on the way. Maybe back on the road for the weekend?
DSCN0250.JPG DSCN0251.JPG valve seat.jpg

Last edited:
Back