shift shaft problems

jeepguy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i went to put the shift selector pedal on for the first time today, and when i was tapping it on my shift shaft disengaged off the gear change wheel. so i had to take the clutch off to put it all back together. why is this happening.

i dont know the size, but you should be able to get any size at any fastener specialty shop.
5twins would know.

When I install things like the shifter or kick start, I tap a screwdriver in the space where it clamps on to spread the clamp open slightly, this lets the part slide right on. Works to get them off too.
Leo

Don't know, never needed one. There is also a flat plate washer under the e-clip, between it and the seal. I would get that too if it's missing so the e-clip doesn't dig into and damage the seal.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1981/XS650H/SHIFT SHAFT - PEDAL/parts.html

I would write the part numbers down and ask for them by number at the dealer. Many times if you ask for parts for one of these old 650s, they'll just tell you they're too old and they can't get the parts - without even looking.

Thanks my Yamaha didn't have the clip but I picked up some ransoms at the hardware store so hopefully one of those work and I'll make sure I throw some washer on there to to fill the gap

Back