shift shaft removal - what's the last step?

PLUM CRAZY

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
This is my first XS650 and first motorcycle I have attempted to fix. I am replacing the shift shaft and have reached a roadblock. I have both side covers off, and the clutch disassembled. The repair manual says to remove the circlip and washer on the shaft. After that, the shaft should pull out, but I can't locate the clip and washer. I've read on the forum that both are on the left side of the engine. I see a bolt attached to some sort of protective flange covering the shaft. Do I need to remove that? Could you help me with whatever I'm missing to replace the shift shaft assembly? much thanks :)

IMG_9999.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

Welcome to one of the greatest bikes to work on! :D:wink2:

Yes, the shift shaft guard must be removed. Underneath which is the clip......that clutch pushrod oil seal looks to be in need of replacement also..... :thumbsup:

Pics of bike? Purple, I assume, lol

I bought the 1980 XS650SG with a title for $500 a year ago. The man I bought it from said it would idle but wasn't driveable. He said something was wrong with the carbs. I brought it home and it would idle but applying any throttle it would just pop and bang and eventually kill. I didn't think it was a carb problem but I cleaned them anyway and everything looked fine as far as I knew. But the bike had the same problem of popping and banging. I replaced the petcock and the problem was solved. I was excited, to drive my running XS650 but when I took it out, the shifter kept slipping. I welded it, but the weld failed so I'm replacing the whole shift shaft, and am learning quite a bit along the way.

thanks for taking the time to help out!

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

Sounds like you got the right info on removing the old shift shaft. Just be sure you check the adjustment on the shift shaft when you install it.
The proper adjustment is detailed in your repair manual.
Leo

You do know the shaft goes to the clutch side. Behind and low of the clutch assembly which has to be removed to draw out the shift shaft. Be sure to lift the arm off the shift drum first. Don't lose the spring!

Back