Shinko 270 tires

I ordered my Shinko 240's yesterday. I'll post up some pics when they come in and when there on the bike, ride review will be awhile. COME ON SPRING! Thanks for all the help.

Tires were delivered today, WOW that was fast.
IMG_1268.JPG

I like my Dunlop K70s they are good on pavement and the venture into the gravel roads.
I ran a modern tread shinko front for a while and it did fine, but I heard of a couple guys that had the tread fly off... Chinese tires... so I opted to spend a little more on the Dunlop.
Didn't see it for myself but worth the extra $ IMHO
Shinko tires are not made in China. Make sure you have your facts straight before posting please. I find the Shinko tires to be of good quality at a very good price. I have been running them on my vintage Z1900 bikes and will be ordering a set for my Victory Kingpin.

Shinko is a Japanese company that purchased all the molds and technology from Yokohama Rubber Co. in 1998 when Yokohama got out of the motorcycle tire game. Shinko manufactures its tires in South Korea. In my estimation, Shinko is a “bang-for-the-buck” manufacturer.Jul 15, 2014

Shinko tires are not made in China. Make sure you have your facts straight before posting please. I find the Shinko tires to be of good quality at a very good price. I have been running them on my vintage Z1900 bikes and will be ordering a set for my Victory Kingpin.

Shinko is a Japanese company that purchased all the molds and technology from Yokohama Rubber Co. in 1998 when Yokohama got out of the motorcycle tire game. Shinko manufactures its tires in South Korea. In my estimation, Shinko is a “bang-for-the-buck” manufacturer.Jul 15, 2014

Cool story, I'll stick with my Dunlops haha

That prompted me to look up Dunlop and see where they're made nowadays, because it's been a while since the Dunlop plant in Birmingham UK closed.
The Dunlops you refer to might be made in the US, so you'd probably be ok with that, but bear in mind that Sumitomo are half owners of that.
Cheese, there's nothing what it seems any more.

That prompted me to look up Dunlop and see where they're made nowadays, because it's been a while since the Dunlop plant in Birmingham UK closed.
The Dunlops you refer to might be made in the US, so you'd probably be ok with that, but bear in mind that Sumitomo are half owners of that.
Cheese, there's nothing what it seems any more.

Yeah I guess I was misinformed by a guy that said they were Chinese. But I have known some bad compounds in cheap Chinese car tires so that's probably what sketched me out when I was told they were from there. Like I said my shinko worked fine but my k70 has been great for what I ride now.

Yeah I guess I was misinformed by a guy that said they were Chinese. But I have known some bad compounds in cheap Chinese car tires so that's probably what sketched me out when I was told they were from there. Like I said my shinko worked fine but my k70 has been great for what I ride now.
Even at that, the Chinese rubber industry has improved hugely over the years. It used to be that Cheng Shin tyres were known as ditchfinders and were iron hard with very little grip, wet or dry. The only good thing was, that they never wore out, so plenty of penny-pinching commuters on tiddly bikes used them.
However... now the situation is very different, and for the past couple of decades I've been using Maxxis tyres, made by... Cheng Shin. They're totally different to the old CS tyres, and provide very decent levels of grip and comfort, as well as lasting a reasonable length of time.
I don't know if Maxxis is a brand that's sold in the States, and even if it is, you'd have to find out what tyres are best suited to your use, as the range has expanded a lot, covering everything from commuter bikes to cruisers and outright sports bikes. Maxxis as a brand was a deliberate attempt to break away from the dreadful reputation that CS had here, and it worked quite well.
From what I can see, the Shinko range is broadly equivalent anyway, and fills the same niches at better prices than the big names (most of which are sold to those who simply must have a Name Brand tyre). Those of us who dislike being rogered over a barrel by the tyre companies tend to choose the lesser known makes who can still supply decent rubber.

If Shinko would have kept the name Yokohama....................

I put a lot of Cheng Shin tires on other peoples bikes years ago. Now I have the duty to convince these people that these Cheng Shin's have out lived their useful period, as if they ever had a useful period.:laugh:

Scott

Tires were delivered today, WOW that was fast. View attachment 113921
Hello, sorry about chiming in late here...but I too went with the Shinko tires, the 270 sawtooth tread pattern. I actually brought my loose wheels in to a shop to have the old cracked weather-checked tubeless tires swapped for the 270’s. Kind of weird, but they had to be installed with tubes, even though my bike has mags. They fit fine (4.00 x 19 front 5.00 x 16 rear) but I haven’t been too impressed with them. They seemed heavy as far as a wheel on a motorcycle should be, when I was putting them on. I also noticed that they tend to wander on the road when I get up past 60 mph, almost like I am riding on a steel grate bridge deck. All of my suspension is stock, fore and aft...with the exception of recently installing a Hugh’s Handbuilt 2” lowering kit on the front forks. The lowered forks have improved the handling some. But as of late, I decided to ditch the Shinko 270’s for the 712 tubeless tires. I was wondering what you think of those Shinko 240 classic tread tube type tires?

The 270 looks to be an older tread design so I would suspect the handling may not be as good as a more modern design like the 712.

Usually dropping the front will quicken the handling a bit, at the expense of some stability.

The turning seems to be quicker with the lowered front. Also, the kickstand angle changed for this bike, but I have a clamp-on kickstand and was able to adjust where it deploys, the stock kickstand lug was fubarred.

Hello, sorry about chiming in late here...but I too went with the Shinko tires, the 270 sawtooth tread pattern. I actually brought my loose wheels in to a shop to have the old cracked weather-checked tubeless tires swapped for the 270’s. Kind of weird, but they had to be installed with tubes, even though my bike has mags. They fit fine (4.00 x 19 front 5.00 x 16 rear) but I haven’t been too impressed with them. They seemed heavy as far as a wheel on a motorcycle should be, when I was putting them on. I also noticed that they tend to wander on the road when I get up past 60 mph, almost like I am riding on a steel grate bridge deck. All of my suspension is stock, fore and aft...with the exception of recently installing a Hugh’s Handbuilt 2” lowering kit on the front forks. The lowered forks have improved the handling some. But as of late, I decided to ditch the Shinko 270’s for the 712 tubeless tires. I was wondering what you think of those Shinko 240 classic tread tube type tires?
I have not put them on yet. Cold out yet and now I pulled my back out. Hope to get to them this weekend.

Cant comment on looks but from what I have actually tested on my own bikes.Dunlop are terrible.
Avon road rider are the best tires bar none! (but they do look modern if that worries u) .Shinko are priced good but have read bad reviews on the rear tires on tis bike.I used Avons on my last 3 bikes and cant say enough good things BUT they are expensive!

I have not put them on yet. Cold out yet and now I pulled my back out. Hope to get to them this weekend.
My back is messing with me also...it doesn’t help that I’ve been doing my own tire swap (trying to save a little time and hassle...has been a giant time suck and a hassle). Well, I hope your back feels better.

But some Dunlops are manufactured in Indonesia.I have a set of D404's and right on the sidewall it is molded made in Indonesia.

I had a pair of Shinto 777s on my 2004 sportster. I was totally impressed with them. Way more grip than the stock Dunflop 404s. Way better handling characteristics as well. Much more "flickable" than before. They wore pretty well over the 2-3k miles I had them when I sold it. Now I bought the 712s for the xs because the tread pattern looks more 80s to me.

My back is messing with me also...it doesn’t help that I’ve been doing my own tire swap (trying to save a little time and hassle...has been a giant time suck and a hassle). Well, I hope your back feels better.
Thanks Thumps. Back is finally starting feel better. Hope to tackle the rear wheel on the XS tomorrow. I change my own tires so i don't want to over due it with my back yet.

Finally getting to mount my Shinko 240's on the xs. The rear tire is a tube type so even though i have tubeless wheel I purchased a new tube for it, well after getting the old tire off and put one side of the new 240 on the rim i pull my tube out of the box to install and I find it has the wrong valve stem:(. So I got the proper tube today hope all goes well tomorrow.

Back