Shop Lighting Tip

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
If, like me, your 16 year old ambition is being hampered by 60-mumble year old eyes, you know that lighting is critical.

I started with 100 watt incandescents in my garage. Better than a coal oil torch, but not much.

Then I heard about cold-start T11 fluorescents. MUCH better, and will start down to near zero, but do need some time to come up to full brightness.

Now I've discovered 4 foot LED strips. The fixture looks just like an old-fashioned chain-hung fluorescent fixture, but the light comes from a double row of LED's. HOLY DAYLIGHT, BATMAN!

MUCH brighter, 34 watts power consumption and WalMart has them for less than $20 per fixture. What's not to love?

Oddly, it's not listed on their web site, but its the Hyper Tough 4 foot Hanging LED Shop Light, SKU 755277813005

A neighbor of mine just installed these. I'm sold.:)

Nice. I have quite a few four tube fluorescent fixtures that I will be converting over to LED.
I would also suggest painting the ceiling and walls with a semi-gloss bright white. Not only does it reflect the existing light but it discourages spiders and mold.

846FA025-A6A1-494C-829E-9E8D02D4536B.jpeg
I bought these 8’ single row LED lights for $20 each. They flush mount with 2 screws and are inter-connected to each other. I got mine from a guy on CL, he must have bought in bulk and was selling cheap. They really light up my shop. I still use a halogen over my workbench for specific focus area, but I am very happy with them.

F0F28B66-F05D-42D8-9CAC-492C5325157C.jpeg

4 4' LED shop lights so far, adding more, now the wife wants them in the barn. I'm with you on the no such thing as too much light in the shop.

I've got several 4 ft LED units and they really are superb.

...I've even got one 4-foot LED light that has a built-in Bluetooth(tm) speaker that links to the music in my iPhone / iPad / iWhateverthehellI'vegot - it works great!.

Last edited:
100_0093.JPG 100_0094.JPG Re-lamped existing fixtures. Adhesive backed LED strips, gutted tubes and ballasts, fresh coat of paint = WAY better. Got the strips off Fleabay - 10M w/transformer for less than $30ea. Think I bought 3 (and some jumper wires), cut to length and stick away.

That looks pretty slick Beags - good solution.

I paid about $55/each for my 4-ft LED units (including the Bluetooth one - I guess it was around $62) - but one of my former grad students got a whole passel (like maybe 8-10) of them for $100 on eBay. Identical to mine - but 1/6 the cost.

Young people.....:rolleyes:

When we bought our house, it had one of those "operating room" 4-tube monstrosities in the kitchen. One of those random things that seemed like a good idea in the 90's along with gold door handles......

Anyway ... I moved it to the garage after a kitchen remodel and also discovered LED tubes in the process. Big fan here!

I opted for these square led lights from Home Depot. I little spend I thought, Have 10 total . They give off a lot of light but I could use a bit more over the bench. What is nice about them is thsy can be operated from the existing switch. I just had to wire in a few more boxes.
shop 2 copy.jpg

There's too much room in there... you need more bikes.;)
I used to live in Mt. Home. Where abouts in Idaho are you?

Helped a friend retrofit to 8' LEDs in his shop a year ago. Yeah, they are amazing... Blindingly bright -- literally. If you look at them, you will be seeing after images every time you blink for the next 5 minutes...

15E87DD0-1763-4320-BEF1-75559E9F1A65.jpeg What is a passel? Like a bushel?
I have 4x4 footers, 3 of them ,and a 2x4 over work bench, and another over washer and dryer. I really should convert .

I opted for these square led lights from Home Depot. I little spend I thought, Have 10 total . They give off a lot of light but I could use a bit more over the bench. What is nice about them is thsy can be operated from the existing switch. I just had to wire in a few more boxes.View attachment 114045
Wait a Minute, Craz. More pics of that root beer Z please

View attachment 114133 What is a passel? Like a bushel?
I have 4x4 footers, 3 of them ,and a 2x4 over work bench, and another over washer and dryer. I really should convert .

PASSEL(n) = a sh!tload, a frickin' bunch, a big-@ss load...etc. ;)

....unlike cra-z1 who has just a few bikes and not nearly enough Kawasaki Z1s...

Back