Shopping for an estimate

donmillerx

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Wondering what it would cost to have a new set of Mikuni round slide carbs and a pamco ignition installed. Might do the work myself, just curious.
Thanks.

The ignition is easy. If you can change points you can do the swap.
The carbs are an easy swap to do, getting the tuning just right is the tricky part. Mostly swapping jets and needles to get right.
Doing it your self will save you a bunch of cash, most shop rates even at $50 an hour can run pretty high after a few days.

Most dealerships won't work on XS's. Independent shops will, but chances are the mechanic has little to no actual hands on time with the XS. So you get to pay him to learn. If you do manage to find someone that knows the XS and is a fair wrench. $50-75 an hour would be reasonable depending on what is done.

I will call 650 Central when I buy carbs for the current project. MMM will take the information that I give him and send me his best guess as to jetting. I did this with "the Troublemaker" and it is spot on. I also bought the Boyer ignition set that was easy to install and is a very effective product. I will buy the Pamco ignition next. It sounds like an easy install and less costly, plus PP is an asset to our board and deserves a shot.

Thanks for all the input...
You're right, paying a mechanic to learn isn't cheap!
Just want it ready when the weather breaks, not sure how long it'll take me.
What kind of info is necessary for jetting? (I'll keep reading. Lots of other posts on this, i'm sure.)
The ignition does look pretty straight forward, and obviously has TONS of support.
Thanks again.

Back