1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Should this tire be repaired?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mailman, May 15, 2020.

1. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Some of you may have noticed I blew my rear tire today when I ran over a drill bit. It is a pretty low mileage Dunlop. I know what any shop would say. “We only replace tires, never repair.“ I haven’t pulled it yet to be sure of it’s condition, it did get ridden flat for a ways to get pulled over, and again to get it up on the tow truck bed, and again to get it up my driveway and into my garage. I may have even spun the rim inside the tire a little. I’m sure I didn’t do it any favors. But, I am still wandering if it’s worth trying to patch the inside of the tire and just put a new tube in it? I’m still trying to decide. Opinions?
    562BAAE1-AEAC-4A57-BFE9-C5F2F64389EF.jpeg 7AF74419-EE93-4E65-A709-A6EC593FD99A.jpeg

thuban, Paul Sutton, MaxPete and 2 others like this.
  2. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

plug4-300x205.jpg
    Hey Bob, bummer about that flat today. This style internal plug patch is the only style I know of to consider
    :shrug:
    I cut corners and am seeing the hole right in the center tread groove. Very tempting to patch only because of the new ness of that tire but... since it is a motorcycle having only two tires, it might be mentally comforting to just go ahead and replace the tire.
    I suppose a plug patch would only be considered to be a temporary solution? You could ride easy until the new tire made it to you ?
    But again, you have two running bikes..
    :bike:

3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Bein' a cheapskate, I'd be tempted to plug it, cut it off flush inside and put a patch in there.

4. wesleyonoel

wesleyonoel XS650 Addict

Would have a good look at the inside of the tire. If it looks like nothing more than a puncture wound, it would be repaired in my orbit. Personal call. Have ridden many a mile on "maypop" tires. Not advocating for others to adopt the practice though. Seldom ride far.........or fast. Might be another story is a long trip was planned? Naw, would repair and ride anyway...............................

5. halfmile

halfmile XS Builder XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

kansas
    Is it a tubeless tire? If it is a tube type I`d patch it and get a new tube. What size drill bit is that? Maybe you should use it to drill more holes? I would.:laugh: Whatever the outcome it`s a great conversation piece.:thumbsup:

6. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Michigan
    This isn't at ALL like asking which oil should I use. :lmao:

7. Mailman

Ha! Great answers guys, yeah of course it’s a tube type. I was thinking of just patching the hole, kinda like what a Randy showed, it doesn’t need to hold air. Throw a new tube in there and call it good.

Couple of trivia items.

1. I have only ever been stranded on a motorcycle one other time, it was on a 1976 Yamaha XS650 , 44 years ago. It had a flat rear tire. o_O It’s dejavu all over again!

2. The weirdest thing that ever punctured a tire one one of my vehicles. A 9/16” Combination wrench! The open end went right through the center of a steel belted radial car tire I had. You could not pull it out by hand. The tire shop that replaced my tire put it on display in their lobby as an example of a road hazard! :laugh2:

TwoManyXS1Bs, MaxPete, thuban and 5 others like this.
  8. 2XSive

2XSive At least one screw loose behind the handle bars XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Michigan
    I knew I lost that drill bit along that road somewhere....

9. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

This is a key point in my view: tube or tubeless tire? Tubeless tires aren’t designed to be plugged while tube-types are not.

Given that is nearly new, I’d plug it and give it a second chance.

lakeview, Greyandridin, Jim and 4 others like this.
  10. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yes if it's a clean hole, I'd lightly sand or grind the interior of the tire and throw a tube patch on it before replacing or patching the tube. mebbie one of those umbrella type patches. but not a standard gooey stick tubeless patch. Kinda make sure both patches aren't in the same place. But I know YOU will be using a new tube.....:sneaky:

11. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Uh, WHAT?

12. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Sprained Ankle Top Contributor

I would plug it and replace the inner tube. Now for my trivia: While on a weekend ride in about 1987 on my XS6501B I was traveling along a gravel road at about 20 mph. I heard a loud ping and saw a big stone go shooting off. The tire went flat straight away. So off came the rear wheel, tire and tube. There was no hole in the tire, just a shiny spot on the outside but the tube had a hole. Just how does that happen?? I patched the inner tube only for it to go flat about 80 miles later. Patched it again and made it home.

Greyandridin, thuban, Jim and 2 others like this.
  13. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

Mailman
    At the least I would replace tube and patch tire.
    It comes down to risk/reward.
    What is the cost of a new tire/tube verses the cost of a tow and possible new underwear or worse if it went flat at a bad time?
    New does not guaranty success but does increase odds. Yes it's possible to pickup another puncture.
    I can attest new can go bad. I had new tires and tubes put on my X-75 last winter. Installed wheels then took bike off of lift and parked while working on engine. When I rolled it back on the lift to install the engine I noticed the rear tire looked low. After engine was back in it looked flat. Aired it up and it went flat in 1/2 hour. Checked valve stem core, no leak there. Removed wheel and took it back to where I bought the tire/tube. New tube was bad, a seam in the tube was leaking. Did I ever mention I think the bike hates me?

thuban, Jim, Mailman and 2 others like this.
  14. MrBultaco

MrBultaco it ran before being parked Top Contributor

Colorado
    44 years between flats??? I'd replace the tire and tube and be safe for the next 44 years. K70s are fairly cheap and what else are you going to do with the money you saved during the shutdown?
    my 2c :rolleyes:

thuban, Paul Sutton, Mailman and 3 others like this.
  15. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Guru Top Contributor

My guess it is halfmile’s drill bit! I seem to recon a few holes on some of his bikes!! :lmao::D

Greyandridin, RonXS, thuban and 4 others like this.
  16. Bushyeyed1

Bushyeyed1 Cafe Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Tube type tire yes I would patch on a motorcycle as long as the tube is good. I wouldn’t patch a tube on a motorcycle if that makes sense.

17. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Just me, but I wouldn't. I have trust issues...

Motorcycle tires are (relatively) cheap and a flat on a bike is a LOT scarier than a flat on a car/truck. Plus, I ride faster than most folks our age. :yikes:

18. Mailman

Wild thing! You never slow down, you never grow old!
    CEC8A11D-D30C-4409-8CC1-011D9D9DCE53.jpeg

19. thuban

thuban Horse Scratcher XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

It would be Mailman gona steal my thunder! I was thinking just yesterday about carrying some "Fix-A-flat" or something for an emergency just like this. I put green slime in my mower and it's held for years, honey locus thorns! I don't see why a can of something like that wouldn't come in handy so you can limp home especially if you have a tail bag not doing anything? Experiences, Anybody?
    For just around here like I ride. Pull it down, inside tire hot patch ( I have an ole time station with a tire pro. Hard to find anymore. ) and new tube. For a hundred miles out in the heat, that's a hard call. It looks like a lot of miles left in that tire yet.

P.S. ( If Mailman patches that tire, it'll knock me off my little webbed feet! )

20. thuban

thuban Horse Scratcher XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

:hijack: No, really, sho-nuff. What about the Fix-a-flat idea. Even if it's green slime, your going to chunk the tube anyway. A BIG can of that would be good insurance?

MrBultaco and Jim like this.