Should this tire be repaired?

P.S. ( If Mailman patches that tire, it'll knock me off my little webbed feet! )

Haha! The jury is still out. I’m gonna wait until I have the tire off and can give it a good look before I decide.

:hijack: No, really, sho-nuff. What about the Fix-a-flat idea. Even if it's green slime, your going to chunk the tube anyway. A BIG can of that would be good insurance?

I think the slime idea could work with something like a small nail. In the drill bit I picked up the fluted edges of the bit did not seal and the tire went flat really fast. I doubt anything could’ve stopped it.

With any life critical repair it is best to replace with new if you do not feel confident about the alternative fixes. If you are doubtful avoid the worry!

"When I was about six I thought a spark plug worked like a flint striker - Somehow the pressure on compression make the ground electrode strike against that little silver flint sticking out of the porcelain." - True story.

Just me, but I wouldn't. I have trust issues...

Motorcycle tires are (relatively) cheap and a flat on a bike is a LOT scarier than a flat on a car/truck. Plus, I ride faster than most folks our age. :yikes:
Same here I would always be looking and checking the tire at gas stops
:hump:

Out here, the ranchers and shops are jumping from slime to this white Amerseal.

32oz.JPG

http://www.amerseal.com/index.htm

Put some in a tubeless utility wheel that slime wouldn't hold.
Still holding after 3 years...

View attachment 167148
Hey Bob, bummer about that flat today. This style internal plug patch is the only style I know of to consider
:shrug:

:agree:
I don't believe I would consider any other fix. I think if there is any doubt or concern, I would dispose of the tire. It won't be any fun riding on it while concerned about whether or not it will fail. Some years ago, I moonlighted at a motorcycle dealer. While there, I made a repair with one of those patch/plugs. That was the only repair we could make. Yours, being in the middle of the tread, makes this repair possible.

Once you get the tire off, you can look inside and see how much, if any damage was done from riding it flat.
As others have mentioned, being in the center of the tread patching works. In a sidewall I wouldn't.
When inspecting your tire look closely at the sidewalls. Damage here can be the most problematic. The sidewalls not only carry the weight but flex. This flexing with sidewall damage can split the sidewall.
Leo

Ha! Great answers guys, yeah of course it’s a tube type.
For a tube type, wouldn't you just get a new tube and ignore the hole in the tire? I think the admonition not to repair is intended for tubeless. Although I did plug a tubeless from the outside with one of those snake coated with glue kits. In that case the hole was near the center and through a thick part of the tread, not the thin part like yours. Also the hole was real small, had to enlarge it by working a phillips screwdriver to get the plug in. Also made damn sure the plug really went all the way through and nothing funny was happening.

For a tube type, wouldn't you just get a new tube and ignore the hole in the tire?

Nope. Moisture will get in the hole and cause further damage. The patch-plug is best. The plug part seals out moisture and the patch part seals air in. There is still some damage to reinforcing plys, so that is why the location of the damage is critical. Don't go racing on a repaired tire.

First dibs on that perfectly good tire he's going to throw away, now that you guys made him all nervous...:cool: :rolleyes:
I'll throw context in here. He;s not headed off around the world via Outer Mongolia he takes leisurely rides within an hour or two tops of metro Phoenix. Odds are that tire's going to age out well before it wears out. It'll be fine. Like I mentioned an ordinary tube patch applied inside the tire mostly so no sharp edge from the hole has a chance to wear on the tube it'll also prevent any chance of moisture or dirt getting INSIDE between tire and tube, and off he goes.
But I used to be a rural mailman and it wasn't unusual to be riding around on a car tire with 3 or 4 plugs in it, usually repaired on the side of the road without even taking the rim off the car. On a good day I could do it and have enough air left in the tire to drive to a gas station before adding air. Driving with the window down a telltale clicking was a giveaway I picked up another nail or screw.
In Wyoming on the Royal Star (tubeless tires) I didn't know it, but picked up a nail? in the rear, drove 60 miles to the next exit before pulling off cuz handling had slowly and steadily deteriorated, was doing 80 ended up down to 60 on a deserted freeway. By time I was in the gas station parking lot the bike was down on the rim. AHA that's why handling got so bad, LOL. Drove across the road to a gas station with an air pump, worked the pig bike up on some 2x4s I scrounged, no center stand, found the hole (nail was gone). I carried a patch kit so put in a gooey plug. Pulled valve stem, got lucky and got the bead to reseal. I never even removed the wheel from the bike, and continued back to Wisconsin at 75MPH. Ran that tire til it was out of tread several thousand miles later.

Last edited:
^ I remember the thread on the grooves that retain a flat tire that those wheels have, vs. XS wheels which don't have them...

First dibs on that perfectly good tire he's going to throw away, now that you guys made him all nervous...:cool: :rolleyes:
I'll throw context in here. He;s not headed off around the world via Outer Mongolia he takes leisurely rides within an hour or two tops of metro Phoenix. Odds are that tires going to age out well before it wears out. It'll be fine.Like I mentioned an ordinary tube patch applied inside the tire mostly so no sharp edge from the hole has a chance to wear on the tube it'll also prevent any chance of moisture or dirt getting INSIDE between tire and tube, and off he goes.
But I used to be a rural mailman and it wasn't unusual to be riding around on a car tire with 3 or 4 plugs in it, usually repaired on the side of the road without even taking the rim off the car. On a good day I could do it and have enough air left in the tire to drive to a gas station before adding air. Driving with the window down a telltale clicking was a giveaway I picked up another nail or screw.
In Wyoming on the Royal Star (tubeless tires) I picked up a nail? in the rear, drove 60 miles to the next exit before pulling off cuz handling had slowly and steadily deteriorated, was doing 80 ended up down to 60 on a deserted freeway. By time I was in the gas station parking lot the bike was down on the rim. AHA that's why handling got so bad, LOL. Drove across the road to a gas station with an air pump worked the bike up on some 2x4s, no center stand, found the hole (nail was gone). I carried a patch kit so put in a gooey plug. Pulled valve stem, got lucky and got the bead to reseal. I never even removed the wheel from the bike, and continued back to wisconsin at 75MPH. Ran that tire til it was out of tread several thousand miles later.

I'm in the same camp as Gary. Been using plugs on tubeless all my life cars and bikes... never had a problem. Ran a 76 Trans Am out to 140 with plugs in all 4 tires (a story in itself :rolleyes:).
I recall on an old Norton (I think :umm:) pullin' the third or fourth nail out and pullin' out the tube... had 3 or 4 patches on it. Decided I'd pressed my luck far enough and bought a new tube... kept the tire.
Reason for all the nails was I was passing through a large construction zone all the time to get to work. Was back in the day when nail guns were relatively new. I think the guys were shootin' off nails just for the hell of it... safeties be damned... :rolleyes:

Don't want to get in a bidding war but concur with gggGary. Honestly have been shopping for tires for my TX - looking seriously at K70's. Current rear tire is thread-bare Won't bother to divulge the age. Now, here's the deal...........will be happy to pay postage for delivery of the "good-for-nothing" mailman tire. How's that for being a cheap-o?...................Anyone care to donate a boot for the repair?...............

For those of you still following along, today I pulled the rear wheel and wrestled the tire off and had a good look at it.
4245676E-D187-479E-8B90-B807887BC1DE.jpeg
ECD62842-8A48-489E-8E5C-0A970561BD47.jpeg
A0DAE4E1-9C44-411B-8F11-A34AD2AC1765.jpeg

The drill bit was a 3/16” x 2” long. It left a nice clean hole.
D6BCE77C-9CF4-4FB4-9945-071CDB88005C.jpeg
DCF0D019-166D-4047-BFF0-47161DA50BF6.jpeg
2067B70B-525E-4F6A-A194-3B0ED620BF0D.jpeg

The inner tube has a pretty tiny little hole in it, other than that it’s a nice heavy pliable tube. I was tempted to just patch it.
1D47928B-8938-4F11-AEF8-0299F472E89C.jpeg
245324C9-9DF3-411D-B0E5-162EB54B9D52.jpeg

I cleaned up around the puncture and scuffed it up inside to prepare for the plug / patch.
D2D162FA-5EA8-4204-812C-D331AA652DFA.jpeg
DC426E4B-2334-46A5-91B9-D9E7AD08FFDD.jpeg

The tire looks to be in good shape with no other visible damage. I ordered a new IRC inner tube exactly like the one that came out, a new rim strip, and a box of plug / patches. All in less than $40 , should be here in about a week. If it all works out, I’ll post a little follow up here. If I screw it up, we’ll never talk of this again! :cautious:
A4BFF519-91B1-4051-BF9D-5893571B5C4A.jpeg

Did a lot of tire tech in my younger days.
Tire looks great, and you did a good scuff job, should stick just fine. Follow the directions and it'll go well.
There's no problem patching a tube if you use a tube patch. Do whatever you're comfortable with. (Did a LOT of those, many farmers & loggers in my area)

As far as the road hazards I pulled out of tires...
  • Firestone tires were always the ones I was pulling the weird stuff out of. Saw a LOT of those after they opened a local quarry making crushed granite aggregate rock. Seemed like there was much more of that stuff coming out of Firestones.
  • Seems like Goodyear were the tires always coming in with bolts and screws and things.
  • To this day, I still HATE Michelin. Every other tire would retain its sidewall/bead shape when disassembling. Michelin were loose and floppy, and the beads would flip OUT when you lifted on them, and tear fingernails loose. Hurt like a bugger.

Well I was all set to put a bid in on that tire till I saw it was an 18" the 1978 I'm trying to get ambition up to finish needs a 16 for the rear!

It's not so much a restoration like Mailman would do, more of an attempt to breath a little life into a bike that was close to being tossed in a scrap bin!

Humm, wonder if kevlar is available for motorcycle tires...put them on all my bicycles now. May look into steel belts for my 1st set of tires.

P2170061.JPG On never been ever cleaned chains (bicycles), I use gasoline overnight ..wire brush, mineral spirits some hours, brush off with plastic brush and wax it....fwiw. This pic was after gasoline and hand wire brush. Got the flash rust off on the brass wheel then mineral spirits,etc looking better than this pic...1st generation Dura-Ace UNIGLIDE pro model (Japan) 1977-78 Motobecane bike giving way to the cleaning effects of 1000,2500 and 5000 grit on the frame. Motobecane was the 1st French bike builder to start using Japanese parts. Japanese parts are as good as anything and relatively cheep too in the 1970's! The bike boom was in full swing...motocicles too.

Last edited:
Back