Show Us Yer Junk!

Now, there's a collection I have not before seen! I did recently acquire a 1923 Wagner cast iron skillet that we immediately put into full time service. It's my favorite.
:whistle: We have about 40 pieces of cast iron, all pre WWII. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the entire collection, needless to say its excessive. We don't really cook with anything else. Here's a few pics of clean up's.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

That's some nice looking cast iron. I have a recent infatuation with cooking on it. Never had a cast skillet until last year. My wife thinks I am obsessed with cleaning and maintaining the seasoning on them. Mine were brand new Lodge skillets. I started with immediately stripping the pre-seasoned coating, sanding the rough castings and building up my own new seasoning. It's been a fun, but educational experience.

That's some nice looking cast iron. I have a recent infatuation with cooking on it. Never had a cast skillet until last year. My wife thinks I am obsessed with cleaning and maintaining the seasoning on them. Mine were brand new Lodge skillets. I started with immediately stripping the pre-seasoned coating, sanding the rough castings and building up my own new seasoning. It's been a fun, but educational experience.
Thanks, yeah it can be obsession forming. Luckily my wife is on board with it. I've spent COUNTLESS hours re-seasoning every piece we have after stripping it. I've been really lucky, we have acquired some really nice early pieces for next to nothing so I don't have a huge financial investment in a pretty extensive collection. We started out with a few new Lodge pans and honestly had really good luck with them. Still use one or two of them occasionally.

:whistle: We have about 40 pieces of cast iron, all pre WWII. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the entire collection, needless to say its excessive. We don't really cook with anything else. Here's a few pics of clean up's.
View attachment 185222
This one looks like my most recent acquisition. I paid $30 at a local swap meet. It was what I considered perfect, so it got washed and into service.
Mine were brand new Lodge skillets. I started with immediately stripping the pre-seasoned coating, sanding the rough castings and building up my own new seasoning. It's been a fun, but educational experience.
I have a new Lodge skillet. It gets used almost everyday. Despite the rough surface, it is perfectly non-stick and works great. The drawback is that it's extremely heavy.

This one looks like my most recent acquisition. I paid $30 at a local swap meet. It was what I considered perfect, so it got washed and into service.
Yep, pretty standard Wagner O 1056 heat ring NO.8. fairly early skillet, roughly 1908-1930ish. One of the best pans made and relatively easy to come by. THe one I posted is a bit of an odd duck, its Nickle plated.

View attachment 185227
I believe I dated this 1923. It’s very lightweight.
That Logo was in use from 1922-1959 but the heat ring and large 8 B pattern put it closer 22 than 59. There is no way to date any Wagner Cast Iron to a specific year the best you can hope for is an era. I'd be comfortable saying that pan is somewhere in the 1922-32 time period. Super light weight and glassy on the inside, great all around pan truly hard to beat.

That Logo was in use from 1922-1959 but the heat ring and large 8 B pattern put it closer 22 than 59. There is no way to date any Wagner Cast Iron to a specific year the best you can hope for is an era. I'd be comfortable saying that pan is somewhere in the 1922-32 time period. Super light weight and glassy on the inside, great all around pan truly hard to beat.
I seems to be alive while warming. It sits flat when cold. The bottom gets round as it warms. Once heated, it’s flat again. It’s a charmer.

I seems to be alive while warming. It sits flat when cold. The bottom gets round as it warms. Once heated, it’s flat again. It’s a charmer.
I've got a Piqua Ware No.8 that does the exact same thing, it's one of our most used pans. They often truly have a mind of their own and seem to have individual personality's.

20210218_161908.jpg
All Analogue
No where near as nifty as cast iron cookware, but this heater has been keeping the well house from freezing since before I moved here. A couple nights it has allowed it to go up to the high teens Celsius usually set for 4 so I brought it in to check.
20210218_162606.jpg
Cleaned the contact points on the bimetal strip and put it back in service.

View attachment 154213
1979 XS6502F. I found it in a junk yard while shopping for a bumper for the Family Truckster. I sold parts I didn’t want on eBay. I got my money back and then some. I have since collected the tins. I think I paid $30 for it. Engine is locked up. I have decided what I’m going to do with it. Other stuff comes first.
View attachment 154214
XS650E. I have this in another thread. I found this in my brother-in-law’s garage. I was happy to get it out of his way. I’m futzing with it now.
View attachment 154215
Two XS1100SGs. I bought these. I intend to make one bike out of these. I’ve decided what I want to do with them. I just need to execute.

I just need to fit these in the budgets. Time & money. For me, it’s a healthy distraction.

Who’s next?

I’m fixing this too. As I recall, it dates to about 1911 maybe.
60F42496-845B-4C49-A593-5C1A2FADFE73.jpeg

My dad pulled this off the trash heap when I was a kid. I restored it when I was in high school. I did the mechanical restoration and stripped layers of white paint. I struggled with that part, but one of my friends was learning furniture restoration. He got all the paint off and put a modern finish on it. I did it for my mom. She put the incorrect knobs on it. She gave it to me in about 1995. It has collected a few bruises in all the moves I’ve made. Now reassessing for repair.

I’m fixing this too. As I recall, it dates to about 1911 maybe.
View attachment 185270
My dad pulled this off the trash heap when I was a kid. I restored it when I was in high school. I did the mechanical restoration and stripped layers of white paint. I struggled with that part, but one of my friends was learning furniture restoration. He got all the paint off and put a modern finish on it. I did it for my mom. She put the incorrect knobs on it. She gave it to me in about 1995. It has collected a few bruises in all the moves I’ve made. Now reassessing for repair.
It was made in 1914. It might be worth $150. I got it playing with some 5 minute epoxy. To me, it’s cool like my XS650.

That's pretty Cool Marty. Over here that would be worth 3 times that amount of money and that may be real conservative, especially if it works.

In fact it could be $7-800 and if it was in an antique shop in an affluent city.....Well who knows.

That's pretty Cool Marty. Over here that would be worth 3 times that amount of money and that may be real conservative, especially if it works
Well, now it works! I’m going to replace the knobs and a couple missing screws with OEM. Asking prices on eBay say it’s worth $1000 to $2000. :laughing:

Seriously you should get it valued. Depending on the timber. if it was redone, to a like new finish $2,000.00 may not be so much of a stretch. That age, WW1 era, as said especially working

Seriously you should get it valued. Depending on the timber. if it was redone, to a like new finish $2,000.00 may not be so much of a stretch. That age, WW1 era, as said especially working
It’s mahogany. That was the most common. Mine has some wear and tear. Whether or not it’s valuable, I’ll keep it. There’re good records of the serial numbers of these machines. It didn’t take long for me to find what year it was made. There’s also a database of survivors. I’ll add this one.

Back