Show Us Yer Junk!

Its one of those things that has more value in the corner of the room than money in the pocket. Especially with the history and your involvement so long ago
Absolutely! Last night, I was able to return it to functioning condition with the help of a little 5 minute epoxy. I'll replace the broken piece some time in the near future. I'll give the cabinet some linseed oil as well. Happy, happy.
I verified by SN that it was made in late 1914. 525,000 of this model were made between 1913 and 1920. So, it probably isn't very rare. I just added it to an online data base. I also have quite a few records given to me by my maternal grandmother.

Helmet void.jpg ..... I wear this to certain events.....close.. not too far events ... it's heavy... doesn't fit well.... since this photo the surface is pretty well covered. And, yes... my " friends " all say the helmet explains allot.

OK enough of this MC crap! Back to frying pans!
Got this from my sister for my 18th birthday. coming up on 50 years that makes it and me an a_________(oh never mind that!)
So it's been through a couple of official seasonings and early on there's a story regarding some fish I bought at A&P but I digress.
Used it constantly, it sits on the stove frying whatever, spagetti sauce,mac n cheese etc. I normally scrape it, heat it, toss in a bit of water, let the boiling loosen whatever's stuck on, scrape it again, oil and ready for the next epicurian delight. Any other tips for a pan that's the kitchen go to? A southern belle showed how her pan had a rather thick carbon layer but I've never been able to let that build up. This pan was machined flat, some pans are just rough castings, I have a CI pot like that. Do you treat them differently? preference?
scraped not re-oiled.
20210225_095905.jpg
20210225_095925.jpg

@RustiePyles ??
Honestly after my usual clean and re-oil eggs tend to stick a bit.

Like you Gary, I’ll wash with hot water only. If stuff is stuck on there I’ll boil the water to loosen it after cooking too. I just make sure to throw in a little lubricant each time before I cook. Be it butter, saved bacon grease, or avacado oil. The avacado oil is nice as it has a higher smoke point around 500 degrees. And a healthier choice than my other lubricants. Mrs Willis isn’t real fond of me cooking with bacon grease, but I think it adds a nice flavor profile though.

@gggGary, Id say if you have to boil it off a lot you don't really have a good layer of seasoning built up. You really should be able to just rinse and scrub it out with a soft bristle brush and some coarse salt(I use a chainmail pad for really tough stuff). But on the other hand I would rather my pan be a little short on seasoning than have a layer of carbon in it. That is a huge no no for many reasons. 1. Carbon is hygroscopic, nobody wants to eat dried out food. 2. Carbon and iron heat and contract at different rates you don't want a layer of carbon on your pan any more than you do the valves in your bike. 3. Carbon is an insulator, it will cause hot and cold spots in your pan. 4. And most important, carbon is porous, it provides harborage for bacteriological nastiness. A good pan should have nothing but a layer of polymerized fat/oil on it and nothing else. And yes oiling your pan after use is absolutely advised (I use extra virgin olive oil) Don't be afraid of a little dish soap. All the people that will tell never use soap on a CI pan are misinformed. This comes from days when dish soap contained lye, lye will strip your pan bare metal. Soap hasn't contained lye for many years. if you feel that the seasoning in your pan is lacking the best thing to do is strip back to bare metal chemically (never mechanically) A good long soak in lye/water will have that pan as naked as the day they parted cope and drag it was cast in. A few trips trough the oven @ 450 with VERY LIGHT coatings of olive oil will have back in tip top shape. Eggs are bitch even in the most well seasoned pans, try this. get your pan up to about 330F (i use a cheap infrared thermometer) put your eggs in and the turn the heat down to almost off. The problem CI/Eggs is that don't absorb much thermal energy and CI will continue to raise in temp as long as heat is applied to it. So the eggs denature faster than they cook and the proteins in the eggs will bind with the polymerized fats and oils in the seasoning. If you want to strip and re-season your pan shoot me a message and I can go a little more in depth about it.

Oh what the heck, just coffeed up. More of this lol..
View attachment 185641
This is appropriate home decor right?
:)
:thumbsup: Electric percolators and CI pans, you been reading my mail? Two of my go to coffee makers double is a Sunbeam C30 vac pot from 1955 the other is GE percolator from the late 50's both in perfect working order.
perc1.jpg
perc2.jpg

Throw this at the wall, see if it sticks, these thin SS spatulas are the bomb, originally it had a white ceramic handle I turned a piece of walnut firewood held on with plastic bumper epoxy when the original glue let go.
20210226_081110.jpg
We're cooking with gas now!
Cool shadow box @Machine
RP you made me think (how rare is that?)
Think the frying pan wiped with olive oil is going in the oven when I cook pizza. Love 2fers.
I don't use a percolator in the kitchen, but A perc coffee pot is a must have for camping trips I use a paper filter inside the basket.

Last edited:
:yikes: Really like those! You have all kinds of goodies, ya I saw your yellow YZ tank in the garage as well.
Yep, thats going on my DT175 thats tore apart right now. I could fill an entire thread with vintage Waffle Irons, Toasters, Coffee pots, and Mixers, and CI (I specifically collect CI cornbread molds) We collect, repair, restore, and occasionally resell vintage kitchen small appliances (among other things). Covid has put quite a damper on the flea market and estate sale trips though.

Throw this at the wall, see if it sticks, these thin SS spatulas are the bomb, originally it had a white ceramic handle I turned a piece of walnut firewood held on with plastic bumper epoxy when the original glue let go.
View attachment 185647
We're cooking with gas now!
Cool shadow box @Machine
RP you made me think (how rare is that?)
Think the frying pan wiped with olive oil is going in the oven when I cook pizza. Love 2fers.
I don't use a percolator in the kitchen, but A perc coffee pot is a must have for camping trips I use a paper filter inside the basket.
How rare is the pan? Well the (Made In USA) Inch size designation are dead giveaways of a post 1968ish production. Id say it was new when it gifted to you. Those are pretty plentiful, most were made by Wagner. They are outstanding pans but don't have much a collector following (yet). But Like all things the older they get and the higher the price gets on the really old stuff the more people want the affordable stuff. I have a few Pyrex and stainless stovetop/camping perco's I always use a paper filter in em too. But have never found a need to use a paper filter in my good elec perc's as the basket holes are much finer.I also grind my coffee in a burr mill so I can control my grind size according to what pot I'm using.

How rare is the pan? Well the (Made In USA) Inch size designation are dead giveaways of a post 1968ish production. Id say it was new when it gifted to you. Those are pretty plentiful, most were made by Wagner. They are outstanding pans but don't have much a collector following (yet). But Like all things the older they get and the higher the price gets on the really old stuff the more people want the affordable stuff. I have a few Pyrex and stainless stovetop/camping perco's I always use a paper filter in em too. But have never found a need to use a paper filter in my good elec perc's as the basket holes are much finer.I also grind my coffee in a burr mill so I can control my grind size according to what pot I'm using.
No not the pan! me thinking is the rare thing.
Spatula is on the narrow side, but it's thin and flexible that's where it shines.

Back