side car subframe

Fred,
Do you have any experience/opinions on the leaning sidecar setups? I've always wondered about the transition when you're leaning into a curve and reach your lean limit. Now you have to transition to steering through the curve. That sounds..... scary. Thoughts?

Hi Jim,
no experience, those leaners are both rare and expensive.
Google John Goff to get his take on them.
Here's a link to John's Flexit sidecar write-up:-
http://www.bmwmotorcycletech.info/flexit.htm
Mind you, as I understand it they lean pretty far before they hit the stops.
I reckon you'd have to be cornering like a maniac to have that happen.

Last edited:
Compared to other bikes that have been deemed "suitable" for sidecars, the XS650 doesn't have this kind of power or weight or sturdy frame and front suspension. At a certain point the bike stops controlling the sidecar and the sidecar starts controlling the bike.
Scott

Hi Scott,
Scooter rigs work OK as does the Royal Enfield/Kozy rig and the Sloper Panther rigs did just fine on their ~27bhp and my BSA Gold Flash/Garrard kept up to British traffic on it's ~40 bhp so I don't consider that an XS650 rig is underpowered. Mind you, my XS11 rig is definitely "too fast for owner" &FWIW the sidecar ALWAYS controls the bike. Forget that at your peril.

Hi 'mike,
Had to fight with that video clip to see it but it looks to be an Enfield/Kozy rig.
That clockwork key a real fake or just photo-shopped?
it's real... a low rpm 12volt motor... foam key.... have one on my Helix also... total investment about $30.oo each.... kids love it... lots of thumb up's... cell phones on the freeway.
Enfield Bullet.... will cruise all day at 60 mph even with the other half in the car. I'v done 800 mile weekends on it..full of camp'n gear and such.

love it , when I was a really small kid my father was into quirky cars --bought a new DKW two stroke and put a similar key on it. cool

Back